Alfetta 2000 hard to start.

Started by simmi1983, June 02, 2024, 06:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmi1983

Hi guys,

To my other Alfetta...
This one is a run around shitter, but it seems whenever I leave it outside and there's rain it gets impossible to start- even after the rain has been gone a few days and even though it ran fine when I parked it there.
  Do these things get moisture problems anywhere?
 Cap and rotor all good and I sprayed the ignition module and hall effect sensor plug with wd40 to chase out moisture.

It seems you wait a few days and off it will go after lots of time trying to start it.

I really like them when they drive but it really feels like you don't know what you're gonna get when you jump in it.

Thanks,

Luke   

MD

Well let's think about it out loud. Only 3 elements make it run. The air is the same. Fuel I presume it has in abundance. So 2 out of 3 it has.

The fly in the ointment has to be electrical. You are on the money trail. Humidity could be playing a part in any borderline ignition connection where there may also be verdigris present. This can result in a voltage drop over that connection. The system may produce a spark but not high enough voltage. Is there a high intensity spark at time of cranking? Check ignition relay. Do you have a failing coil, ballast resistor (if it has one) faulty ignition module?

My actual diagnosis is rebuff from the utter shame of being called a shitter. No Alfetta deserves that. I think you need to show it some love with a cut and polish. She is a girl after all..flowers in the back seat and some tyre shine perhaps may win her over. 8)  )
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Craig_m67

... I always found they preferred to be driven hard and put away wet always won them over, works out any niggles too
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Colin Edwards

WD-40 is a relatively polar / has a higher dielectric constant than WD-40 contact cleaner. 
Relative to WD-40 contact cleaner, plain old WD-40 (and CRC) will displace moisture for a while then begin to re-attract it!!
Better to use a recognised electrical contact cleaner / lubricant (like WD-40 Contact Cleaner) on all 12V electrical connections.  An electrical contact cleaner will also likely have less effect on plastic shrouds and electrical insulation. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Quote from: simmi1983 on June 02, 2024, 06:27:37 PMCap and rotor all good and I sprayed the ignition module and hall effect sensor plug with wd40 to chase out moisture.

WD40 should never be used on anything electrical as it has a lubricating/penetrating oil as part of its formula.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

NSharpley

Have you checked your accelerator pump jets are functioning correctly?

Rain wouldn't affect them but if you're having starting issues most of the time that that will be the culprit.
Current Alfa:
1975 Alfetta GT 2.0 Race car
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1972 105 2000 GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1982 Alfetta Sportiva (briefly in my possession. Restored and sold)
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT