Ive driven a MiTo

Started by dehne, July 27, 2009, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

So.  In summary, it appears that driving a MiTo would be recommended for anyone wishing to attempt a fair assessment of its qualities. Interesting.
Bit like the RenaultSport Clio 182, I once owned.  On the surface, one may believe it to be yet another boring FWD hatch, suitable only for collecting groceries.  Preferably by members of the fairer sex.
Oh, but if you drove one..........

Cheers,

Marco
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

1750GT

A very interesting thread this ones been. I think Marco et al are all right. It's horses for courses, my wife drives a VW golf and that car can be a blast and really fun in the right conditions (although sheldon if the right conditions are down hill, duno?), but for outgright fun and the absolute pleasure of the twisties there ain't nothin better than the 1750GT and GTV6.

And before anyone thinks this a frontVrear argument stop right there. I just think these cars have sublime chasis and can take a mean lot of speed into and out of corners, they just seem to feel the corner, no tugging or pulling required, get it right and smooth and they just turn on a pin, you can feel what's happening in the seat of your pants and in your hands and you just feed it in and out with the loud pedal and it's pure pleasure.

Now for the straights and the twisties (that is the best of all worlds) and everything in-between the M3 just blows you away, but you know what the alfa's around the twisties, sublime! and I've got to agree with Sheldon, irrespective of the alfa (and I must admit I am not a total front wheel drive convert) they do seem to have the same certain charm for a good thrash. I recently drove a bog 147 and whilst I am not sure it would be a long termer for me, it was really fun and had that cerain Alfa sound and fun, thrash and charm element that you don't often see in the other std hatches.

1750GT

JOHN G

alfagtv 100

I agree 100percent.

Specs & rating(From Gulf news July 25th 09)

Model: RenualtSport Clio 197

Engine: 2.0-litre
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Max power: 197bhp @ 7,250rpm
Max torque 215Nm @ 5,500rpm
Top speed: 215kph
0-100kph: 6.9secs
Price: Dh85,000
Plus: The devil's own runabout, devilishly quick
Minus: Idiotic power band

Model: Alfa Mito Engine 1.4-litre turbocharged
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Max power: 153bhp @ 5,500rpm
Max torque: 230Nm @ 3,000rpm
Top speed: 215kph
0-100kph: 8.0secs
Price: Dh102,000
Plus: True old-school hot hatch
Minus: Old-school slow too

Model: Mini Cooper S Engine 1.6-litre turbocharged
Transmission: Six-speed auto
Max power: 172bhp @ 5,500rpm
Max torque: 260Nm @ 1,700rpm
Top speed: 223kph
0-100kph: 7.1secs
Price: Dh125,000
Plus: It's the premium one
Minus: And the most boring one

Verdict: The Mini is the most accomplished, the Mito the most adorable, but when it comes to horsepower-per-dirham, the Renaultsport 197 Clio is unbeatable.

John
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I drove a BMW M3 CSL in anger today (I have some very accommodating mates) – WOW.
Scary fast, amazing balance and a sounds like a 70's F1 car.  It's a shame Alfa doesn't benefit from the market position (and development capital) to develop something like that.  Well there is the 8C (sigh) but none of us are likely to get our hands on one of those.
I guess it doesn't really matter how big the engine is, or which wheels are driven.  As long as it brings a smile to your face.
8)

Cheers,

Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

L4OMEO

Hi John

I've been associated with Alfas and Alfa people for over 25 years and love the diversity of both. Alfa people are interesting people, with character, personality, passion ... and opinion! I wouldn't have it any other way. So in answer to your questions, I'm devoted to Alfas, females (well, one), and motorsport. I'm sure you and I would have a very (!!!) interesting evening discussing aspects of all three over a few beers sometime (in fact, I reckon SBS could film it and broadcast it in episodes from 7:30 on Monday nights   ;D )

The 282rwhp GTV6 I drove belonged to a Doctor friend back in NZ. His daily driver, it was christened the 'Starship Enterprise' by the local Alfisti since it was about as quick (and cost about as much). The owner has since moved to Australia and brought the car with him so it's around Victoria somewhere I think, and I did hear it has since been supercharged. Guess it wasn't quick enough for him, although since I saw 220km/h on the speedo (around 240km/h corrected) on a not-very-long and bumpy straight I think it was quick enough for me.

Tech specs - don't have much for you I'm afraid. It was a very worked 3.0 litre (or just over) with highly-developed intake and exhaust systems, some incredible headwork (too much for reliability as it turned out), but the rest of the internals I'm unsure of. It had individual throttle-bodies, full race cams, yet with the engine management system it ran it idled smoothly at 550rpm. The 282rwhp figure was off a dyno which was probably delivering slightly optimistic readings (based on other cars benchmarked there), but countering that the peak figure was taken at 7500rpm at which point the graph was still heading steeply upwards (the owner generally used 8000rpm). I saw the graph overlaid with one produced by a Ferrari F355 run the same day and they were near-identical.

The sound it made was simply exquisite; far and away better than any other road car I've experienced.

Sorry I can't proved more details John, will post anything else I can remember later.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Sheldon McIntosh

Ahh, if this is the car I'm thinking of, this car is known in the Vic club.  It turns up to the occassional track day for a short time.  I won the sweepstake at the last event when I picked that it would complete 3 laps before breaking something.

I published an article about the car in Cross & Serpent a few years ago.  At the time it was 380rwhp, but I believe it's had more work since then.

L4OMEO

QuoteIt turns up to the occassional track day for a short time.  I won the sweepstake at the last event when I picked that it would complete 3 laps before breaking something

That sounds like it! Ivory-colour with Momo star alloys, othewise quite a sleeper. The engine work was done by a guy renowned as quite extrordinarily talented, but also known for stretching things well beyond sensible limits. There was so much material removed from the heads during the porting that they were literally time-bombs waiting to go off. And they did. Cue falling out between owner and mechanic. The owner was talking about going larger capacity and/or supercharger before he left, don't know where things went from there (obviously somewhere if it's gained another 100rwhp)

I also wrote an article on it as I was Editor of AlfaNews at the time (the NZ Owners' Club magazine). Not my most balanced work, I deservingly talked it up quite a lot (particularly the sound) but neglected to describe just what a development hack it felt like in many other ways. Still, the world is a lesser place without people's creations like this.

And did I mention the sound?

Rory
2002 156 GTA

branko.gt

Quote from: JOHN G on August 05, 2009, 04:06:01 PM

With women and younger buyers covered I guess they just left out grumpy old men ;D

Wow not a bad effort at humour there k76  ;D

I'm only in my 30's

John
[/quote]
it is actually the mental age and attitude that counts, so you are still in   :P