156 GTA Radio Code LOST!!! ????

Started by Grumytex, August 05, 2009, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumytex

Hi all , A good friend has recently purchased a second hand 156 GTA. He recently had the water pump replaced and the previous owner has lost the security code for the stereo system. Alph Hobart have quoted him some ridiculous cost to remove the system, post to Italy and retun with new code.

Is there a simple way to cure this problem and get the stereo working again???

Ay help would be much appreciated.

Paul

Jekyll and Hyde

If you have a service history which shows the original selling dealer, or the dealer who did the first few services, they may have recorded this number on their computer somewhere.  Of course, if thats the same dealer you spoke to already, you have an issue.  Could perhaps buy a secondhand head unit with code?  I don't know specifically about Alfa head units, but in other cars (land rovers for example) the code is tied to the radio unit itself and not the car....

Grumytex

Spoke to Alfa Hobart, I doubt whether they know what day of the week it is. Couldn't help.
When the car had an accident a few years ago, they challeneged the then owner about the "aftermarket" body kit that was actually fitted to the vehicle by Alfa themselves.
We will keep trying, thanks...

Launceston Tas

Thanks Tex.

This enquiry is actually about my 156 GTA that I purchased a few months ago here in Tasmania.

I have now spoken with the main dealership where the car was purchased new and also the only
mechanic that has serviced the car since new and neither have any idea of the code.  I am told that
the radio needs to be pulled out and its serial number sent somewhere by who knows and for a cost of
$150 some one will return a code?

If anyone can enlighten me on what the procedure might be I would appreciate it.

I have also tried to phone a number listed for Alfa Australia in NSW which appears to be disconnected.

Sheldon McIntosh

Some info about it on the British forum...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/140598-need-a-radio-code-ask-here.html

Might be worth joining their forum and doing a search.

lambchops

I dont know if this post is still alive .
But i know first hand with beemers ,from when i bought a 20 year old head unit with the code missing .
The guy i bought the unit from supplied me with the VIN number of the vehicle from which it started life in.
I simple rang the nearest dealer and was given the code attached to the radio.
That may be a problem in newer cars as that defeats the idea of the security code in the first place.