Car Rego options for Victoria

Started by Ash Gordon, September 18, 2009, 07:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

Hi,

I just got the Rego / TAC 3rd party renewal for the 105 in the post last week -  :o  just over $600!

Anyhow as the car is off the road and unlikely to be back on it in the next year or two I was just wondering what my options are as I don't fancy paying out that kind of money for a car that sits in the shed..

If I let the reg slip can I keep the original plates for when it hits the road again ? And what does it cost to put a car " over the pits " and re reg the car after the resto happens ?   Are Vic roads being tougher on old cars these days ?

Any experience / advice would be greatly appreciated ..

cheers Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

dehne

if you are going to restore the car it would then be roadwothy im guessing it would be $110 for a roadwothy check and then just pay rego you can keep your plates but check with vic roads as there might be a fee involved in it "ofcourse" but you may also just let it run out and keep the plates ive never had a prob with it and reg again saying ive already got plates
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Colin Byrne

hi ash,
the other problem with having to re reg is you'll have to pay stamp duty again, even though you didn't buy the car again! (got to love vic roads)
but if you do the sums it will probably still be worth doing.  One good thing about 105's is there old enough so vic roads doesn't have any "Market values" for the cars so you can usually get away with paying the minimum fee, if the car's off the road for at least a full year i'd go the re-reg route.
cheers
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

dehne

ive never had to pay stamp duty twice when they have asked me what i payed i said it cost nothing as i allready owned it for 10 years
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

1750GT

Ash if you are going to have the car professionally done then there is no issue as the repairer should provide you with a car thats roadworthy. The issue with unregistered older vehicles is that Vic Roads usually require an inspection on re-registration. If they do then you need a proper roadworthy and because its an inspection, its difficult to get one unless the car is A1 including no rust to structural parts of the car as its difficult to obtain a road worthy when the tester knows your having it inspected by Vic Roads. Un-registered vehicles are usually targets for inspections, especially 105's as (unless yours happens to have one) they dont have compliance plates just engine and body numbers.

Without giving out info on the car (your thinking about etc. etc.) you should chat with Vic Roads and they are usually quite helpful.

1750GT

Mat Francis

I did the 75 about a month ago. Although it was never unregistered, i had to go through the same thing as it was a SA car. All i really have to add to what has been said is that the Vic roads inspection wasn't anything to get worried over. All he asked was to see the roadworthy, and then make sure that the VIN number matched what was on the RWC. "The pits," as quoted here, (and i have heard mentioned elsewhere also), is a bit misleading. It's more like a drive through. Park in the bay, have the car "inspected" then drive out again. By no means is it an under car examination.

Probably also depends on how the car is presented. I imagine if you rocked up in some rats*it lowered VL with burnout wheels on the back, roadworthy in hand, it may be quite a different story...

Younger brother's Alfetta went through the same thing last week also. Again, no real issues, and it is now re road registered after sitting for about 3 years.

One thing to watch out for though is that they also require a receipt as proof of ownership. The receipt i had for the 75 did not have the VIN number on it, and we were pretty lucky that everything else we had was right and the guy doing it was in a good mood. Otherwise it could of been a pretty big deal.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Paul Gulliver

Thats intersting Mat. I brought the Alfetta GTV in  Tasmania last  year the rego expired in June. I went to Vic Roads had the rego changed into my name and then issued with new Victorian plates
(no roadworthy needed) . However later last year when i put the 105 GTV on to Classic Historic.
It was already  Victorian registered but needed RWC to get classic historic plates!!!.
An interesting system
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Mat Francis

Government departments at their finest. I believe it also depends on where the car is from. SA does not require any form of RWC (how good is that! Imagine the sh*theap alfetta's i could drive around the streets...), hence needing the roadworthy.

It is my understanding that if the car came from NSW (also Tasmania apparently), you don't require one. I guess this would be because NSW cars undergo annual checks already or something.

At least they told me the right thing over the phone when i rang up.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Ash Gordon

I have just had a look at the Vic Roads website and it appears there is no cost to holding plates .. :D

"If the registered operator wishes to keep the number plates, VicRoads will assign the number plates to that person (self retention) on the condition that the plates are kept in that person's possession and are not placed on any other vehicle without advising VicRoads."

So like most resto plans,  the work will more than likely stretch over several years. Cost to re reg is about $700 to $800 depending on dutiable value plus cost of roadworthy.

Will call VicRoads, be put on hold for several hours, and cancel the reg and put the plates on hold...  probably some annual fee to do so which is not listed on the website..  nothing is for free these days !
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

alfagtv58

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on September 19, 2009, 11:23:48 AM
Thats intersting Mat. I brought the Alfetta GTV in  Tasmania last  year the rego expired in June. I went to Vic Roads had the rego changed into my name and then issued with new Victorian plates
(no roadworthy needed) . However later last year when i put the 105 GTV on to Classic Historic.
It was already  Victorian registered but needed RWC to get classic historic plates!!!.
An interesting system

Just for clarification.  The RWC requirement is an AROCA Vic thing, not Vic roads.  It has been a long standing requirement of the (Vic) club that a RWC is supplied to get a Club Permit.  As usually those people that sign forms (like me) are Gumbys when it comes to mechanical knowledge.....therefore it's best to have someone who knows what they are doing give it the tick of approval before we can sign.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

a sharp

Just To Clarify Phil's comments, Vic roads require for the issue (not renewal) of club plates the following either a RWC or that a Club appionted scrutineer sign off on the car as being both safe and roadworthy, this odd arrangment is largely there so Rodders can get club plates as it is almost impossible to get a RWC on a rod. The catch 22 of the later path is that if the police stop the car and have issues with it then the club is held to account by Vic Roads and may have its right to issue permits removed, this effectively cancels all current permit issued by the club. This has happened at least twice in the past to other clubs. If as AROCA requires a RCW is issued then Vic Roads will act against the issuer not the club, thus by requiring RWC we remove the possiblity of one bad car impacting on all club plated cars in the club.

Paul Gulliver

Phil & Anthony, Great answers.

On another issue regarding CH plates. Does anyone have an update as to where this issue is. My understanding is that the Cars Clubs & Vic Roads had agreed on a limited usage & log books for cars on Classic Historic plates (approx 90 hours per year). This is now stalled somewhere between the Ministers office & Police force.

Any updates!!!
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Victor Lee

Paul,  was it 90 days or 90 hours?   ???
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

alfagtv58

It was indeed 90 days (with a proposal for an option of 45 days).  See below which is an extract from the AOMC Aug newsletter.  I am keeping my eyes on the very slow progress and will update everyone as soon as anything earth shattering occurs!

QuoteThere is some positive news on the proposed modifications to the Club Permit Scheme, the discussion paper prepared by Vic Roads officials, with a great deal of input from our Association representatives, is finally completed and is now with the Director of VicRoads. It will be his responsibility to see that the modified scheme receives Ministerial approval.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Gulliver

Phil,
Another great answer.

The sad thing about this issue  is the progress. It is measured in years not weeks or months. They seem to have very little will to push for it to be resolved.

Vic Roads can get an infringement notice (traffic camera) out to you in a matter of weeks and expect same time frame on your response. Maybe they should get some of these people working on it.
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0