largest tyre width for GTV6

Started by turboalfa, October 24, 2009, 01:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboalfa

Hey guys i currently have 205, 50s on a set of 16 inch SImmons B45s. what is the largest i can go in tyre size so it still fits in the guard on these cars? i would like a 225 or something rather.

lorenzo

GTV6 3.0L

Simon Aarons

I have 17" wheels with 225/45. Only the rear left scrapes if i hit a bump under heavy acceleration, but normal driving is fine....Don't know why its just the rear left??

With the front i had to get the inside of the front spoiler cut back otherwise every single bump would scrape. BUT - this was with standard torsion bars. Stiffer suspension may reduce the scraping??

Or you could get the inside of the wheel arches rolled... then you could chuck on 255's maybe ;D
1986 GTV6 3.0L

Victor Lee

We run 225x45x16 tyres on 16x8 Simmons F90 with no alterations to the guards.

We used to run the same tyre dimensions on 16x7 (or were they 7.5?) and you could feel the tyre move under load in corners.  Don't have that problem with 16x8's.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

turboalfa

I have 205 , 50s R16 and i want at least 225 .. but i have konis all they way around i think king springs . and all in all very very stiff suspension so yes im hoping for the 225 45 :) haha . any tyre type recommend?   
GTV6 3.0L

franck

gday turboalfa, i have 225 17s on the rear and they touch slightly on bumps and if i accelerate too hard, even when the fuel tank is full a slight bump will have a slight scrub, however i was thinking maybe a stiffer set of rear springs rather than the progressive type maybe the way to go, do you have any negatives in regards to the very stiff suspension, apart from our shit roads

turboalfa

lol i havent got it registered so havent done much driving but i can already tell im gonna get sick of it. its so stiff it feels the slightest movements! .. and it kills me lol. its like a go kart with and over sized engine lol :) . quiet happy with the power output it has atm. i need to tune it and get dyno.. but putting new tyres on it tomorrow as i have semi race tyres and can not be registered with. so i shell tell u know what i pick. and how it goes. atm its so stiff it wheels spins from 2nd to 3rd. and even to fourth if i push it enough.

lorenzo
GTV6 3.0L

JOHN G

Spins into fourth with semi slicks  ::)

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

turboalfa

lol i left the worn part out :P .. haha! .. and the fact why i need new ones LMAO!
GTV6 3.0L

Doug Gould

My GTV6 had 205/50 R16 tyres that were nice. It currently is wearing out the tyres I took off my 156 (205/55 R16). These tyres lightly scrape the inner guards.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Scott Farquharson

You can get to 225's with an OD of about 600 or 605'ish mm without any serious mods - most common would be 225 45 16 with a few tires available in this size, best on 16x8's as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.  You can get to 255 with and OD of about 570mm but may require a little metal work at the front and rolling the wheel arch.  Rears are not a problem in either size.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

franck

scott when u roll the wheel arch is there a technique involved so as to not crack the paint? as i think the scraping of tyres is at the start of the arch at the lowest point to the road of the arch, am i making any sense?? ???, i know my wife doesnt think so.... i have to roll the arch as i cant stand that sound of rubbing anymore, either that or raising it up, but the it will look like a hotrod.

Eddy Bidese

Lorenzo  I have similar experiences to Victor and Scott, ie 225 45 16 on 8 inch rim with no clearance issue on lowered and standard guards.  The only other thing which I believe is relevant is the wheel offset. Clearance is OK with 8 in rims with P30 or P35 offset. P25 just touches.  Good Luck

Eddy

turboalfa

thanks guys... i got 205, 55s on rear and 205 50s on the front.. looks fairly good.. althought my ride height got knocked back today at road worthy and so many other small things which i thought were pointless.

lorenzo.
GTV6 3.0L

DAVIDT

TYRE WIDTH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING ABILITY.........[YES LOUD FOR NERDS]....DRIVE THE SUCKER .........GET OFF THE COUCH!.......................DAVIDT .

DAVIDT

ACTUALLY... IF ONE GOES TO PAGE 315 OF 'THE AUSTRALIAN CONCISE DICTIONARY', UNDER THAT PREFIX COUCH POTATO..........OPPS, WHATS A DICTIONARY?.....DT.