restoring a GTV6- originality

Started by Repco Lad, December 22, 2009, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repco Lad

Hi all

Just read the piece on the cost of restoring a GTV6 and have a question about originality.

To set the scene, the car I bought was under the budget I had set myself, and is relatively tired in places. The decision to buy was made so I could get the year/ color/ trim combination I was looking for (later model, red, black int with s/roof), with the view to spending the $$$ to bring up to standard

I am at the point of rebuilding the motor. I have done the sums and have two options, being either to rebuild the existing 2.5 ltr, or replace with a 3.0ltr

The car will not be built to be a full concourse d'originale example. (In my youth we had a MG TC that covered 800 miles in 5 years on the show circuit, which was ultimately sold due to lack of enthusiasm); but will be a tidy example none-the-less

My question is what is the prevailing thoughts on originality of engines?

I have owned a number of Mini Coopers where originality of engine is paramount, and can seriously impact values if changed. I also had a Volvo P1800, where upgrading the motor to a larger capacity and can actually increase values

Thoughts please!

RL

alfagtv58

My thoughts are you just about answered your own question in your MG TC analogy.  Do to it whatever you need to do to get some enjoyment out of it....if that means putting a 3L in it then do it, if you want to keep originality for re-sale value, take out the 2.5, wrap it in plastic and stick it under the house for rebuild in install later on, just before you sell it.

But just enjoy the car you have obviously spent time considering what you wanted and waited for the right one to come along.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

Totally agree with Phil.

To be classed as original it must be original, end of story.

However, the GTV will cope very well with the 3 litre engine which provides a far superior power to weight performance but this is best realised with brakes & suspension upgrades and a limited slip differantial.

You could achieve similar (and more)power output from the 2.5L engine by some serious work on it but this is more costly and you would lose the originality aspect anyway.

If you really love these cars, the ONLY answer is to have 2. **
One as concourse original and one that is bombed to the max.

It's hard to be a little bit pregnant as the saying goes..

** The end costs could be the same and likewise their resale value but this depends to some extent on the character of the buyer and what they are looking for.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0