1974 Gt 1600 Junior Restoration

Started by pep105, March 23, 2010, 11:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep105

Hi
Thought Id finally post the progress on the restoration of my Gt Junior. Its been going since July 09 when the old bus was pulled off the road and stripped which took forever due to a number of reasons. Anyways in December it was delivered to the panel beaters and as of last Friday its back home with new paint all the rust cut out and all the bodgey bog jobs sorted although it still needs to be cut and polished. The worst rust areas were in the base of the C pillars on both sides where they meet the rear quarter panels, virtually the top sections were non existant and recreated in bog, with the repair sections being fabricated from flat sheet. Ill post more photos as I sort them, plenty of work to do as I put the old girl back together, ill update as we go. Heres some progress shots if your interested    

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

pep105

more.....
Current
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

pep105

Current
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

scuzzyGTV

looks very nice, what colour is it now? AR dutch blue?
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Davidm1600

X2 there Pep !!!  Yeoouch your Junior sure had some nasty rust hidden under shiny resale red paint.  Like Scuzzy, I too love the colour.  What a transformation.  Hooray to be on the home straight now. Have fun putting it back together.  Bet you can't wait to take it out for its first drive. 

I wonder, having seen so many GTV restorations just what house of horrors re rust is lurking in my car waiting to be uncovered.  Hmn think I had best concentrate on the Super first.  Next week I get my long awaited new door cards and rear parcel tray back from the trimmers.  One more piece of the jigsaw puzzle completed.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pep105

Thanks Scuzz, yeah colour is dutch blue

Davo, some absolute pearler rust horrors underneath, amazing what you discover once its stripped, Im not out of the woods yet though, still heaps to do, first will be the new rooflining before the new front and (old) rear screens go in. I need to rebuild the gearbox, carbies and sort the 2 litre donk thats going back in amongst 50000 other things but at least the bodys out of the way, let the fun begin. Sound like your supers on its way good stuff 
Cheers
Pep
Current
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

MD

Congrats Pep in getting in there for the long haul. Great to see another one saved.

We are so lucky in Oz in many ways to be able to work on our cars whenever we like (within reason) unlike some of our northern cousins where you risk frost bite just trying to do the simplest things. Talk about frustrating delays !!

...and so the count and recount of the moths verses the billdfolds in the wallet begins.... :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mat Francis

Awesome Pep. Keep those pictures coming. I love these threads.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

scuzzyGTV

good luck with it, and its great to see anothor dutch blue alfa aroundm wicked colour!
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Frank Musco

Davidm1600

Hey Pep, totally agree with all the other comments made.  One more saved  ;D

Indeed some more progress on my project which is great, though I have to admit to wincing at the amount I need to find to pay for the new door cards, restored grab handles and new rear parcel shelf  ($1450).  Yeoouch about double what I had thought it might cost.  They had better be fantastic, and definitely no moths in my wallet, they have all flown the coup !!. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

David, Pep. There are two schools of thought in restoration. Do it to original or do it to your satisfaction which can mean better than original. Unfortunately the latter version doesn't go down too well with the authentic poobahs so the choices need to made early on as to which way to go in terms of resale which will inevitably arrive one day.

The contribution here is to say there are new door card restoration techniques that can replace the original factory fitting method of using exposed screws which the current generation doesn't related to and jaws drop when they see them. This involves installing plastic female sockets into the door frame and secret fixing male type attachments to the door card. The two simply push into each other and lock in tight. The process is reversible so you can take the cards off for maintenance as usual.

Naturally, a very important part of new door cards is to correctly fit a new damp proof sheet so that no moisture gets conveyed to the card to destroy it. Fortunately here too, there are new materials around that are not made of some form of timber board but of  plastics that don't rot.

So be sure to discuss your needs with the trimmer for the outcome that you have in mind.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paulo

Hello

What a beautiful color he chose to paint your car,  usually are always red.

Beautiful restoration.

I liked that my Alfa 1300 gtj was already done like this,

now is to pass the stage of assembling the vehicle.

Very good .................  ;D