Are all car covers evil?

Started by Evan Bottcher, February 25, 2007, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

So it can't be helped - I only have a single garage and it now has a half dismantled 105 in it.  I've run out of excuses to leave the Alfasud at the mechanic's, so I have to store the car in the driveway.  As we all know Alfasuds are soluble in water, so I need to keep it under a cover.

I have a cover which I have had for a few years - it's branded 'stormguard' I think by autotechnica and it's a grey vinyl.  Problem is that it DOESN'T WORK!  Somehow in any kind of rain water gets underneath and then seems to be trapped there permanently under the cover against the roof and front guards of the car.  It's clearly not as waterproof as it claimed to be, but then it's not breathable either so the water cannot get out at all even on a sunny warm day.

Can anybody recommend another cover that will work better, or is the situation completely hopeless?

I'm considering erecting a carport in that space, but I'd still like a cover as the car is a little too 'race-car' and I don't want to attract attention.

thanks,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Brad M

Evan,

Did you get any advice on a good quality car cover?
We must keep the toys protected from prying eyes and the elements.

Cheers,
Brad
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Fast Eddie

I've had similar experiences.  i have a waterproof one that sweats and therefore traps moisture and i have a dustproof one that well...lets the dust in and isnt waterproof.

Intl auto Parts in the US of A offer a series of custom-fit covers but they will set you back U$ 136 - $355 plus freight.  The best i have seen so far is the basic silver tarp from Bunnings tied down but loose enough to let some air in.

Nice to see the first post from Brad, the new proud owner of the former FER SudSprint ;D
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Evan Bottcher

I bought the expensive Tyvek (TM) one by Kenco car care.  $100 from supercheap.  It's very light so hopefully it'll let the Sud breathe a lot better than the big heavy stormguard one.

*sigh* wish I could find somewhere to store the car.

Welcome to the forum brad!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

I noticed an advertisment in the CAMS magazine that arrived last night for some car covers.  They were based out of Sydney, and looked quite high end (read 'expensive').  They had a website, I will try to look it up tonight and post it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

You're right Phil,
i looked up their site and they are definitely on the upper range price wise ($200 - 300) but that is probably going to be the case anyway - you get what you pay for.  Some of them shared the brand names of the ones supplied by IAP in the US i was mentioning so maybe they have some  dealership rights.

There are some 100% waterproof examples on Ebay for under $100.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Damien Ryan

With covers you very much get what you pay for.  The moderately priced waterproof covers (ie under $200) can probably best be described as water resistant.  And the ones that are totally waterproof don't allow the cover to breath.

I don't think there's any one cover that does everything, ie waterproof, dustproof, dent protection, easily washable etc.  It seems you either get a waterproof cover for outdoors, or a dustproof cover for indoors.

Some of the high-end covers provide great water protection and good dust protection, and breath. But expect to pay $500 for one of them.  From my limited research, it seems the 'weathershield' covers from covercraft are about the best in the business, but I was quoted $520 for a custom fit weathershield cover for my GTV.  And you can even get an Alfa logo put on it!!!
'74 GTV 2000 Le Mans Blue
'70 Berlina 1750, Bianco (project)
'99 Seat Cordoba, daily driver