How to sell Alfa 105 parts

Started by vicbook, May 16, 2010, 12:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbook

About 15 years ago my son embarked on a 105 GT Junior restoration project.  After spending over $3000 it was abandoned and I want to regain some space in my garage and he wants to get some of his money back.  There's an engine (1750, I believe), gearbox, all the glassware, lights and interior, including 2 windscreens, one nearly new.  Should I sell via ebay or AROC.

Davidm1600

Both, in short to maximise the car's exposure.  Also have a minimum price in mind.  So long as the car is not rusty (well seriously rusty) there should be a buyer for it.  While there undoubtedly would be buyers for parts if you were to part it out, from a collector's perspective, I think it would be nicer if the car could be sold complete to a buyer who will restore it.

Basically, 105s are very collectable and to many have gone so it is always good to see another GT/GTV being saved.  Good luck in selling it.  If you do post in the For Sale section here on the forum, if you can up load a few photos that would also help.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

vicbook

Thanks David.  He doesn't have the body any more (it's a long story) only the parts I mentioned.  I know the 105 is a collectable item, that's why I encouraged my sone to buy the car in the first place.  Unfortunately, I was going to have to do most of the restoration work.  Having done a similar exercise with a Lancia Fulvia Zagato about (started in 1993, finished in 2001), I resigned not to do it again!  I was hoping somebody would tell me what the items are worth.  The still near new windscreen cost quite a bit in 1995.  He completely dismantled the car about 4 months after he had it put in.

1750GT

I agree with DavidM. the forum is probably the wrong place to get ideas about price as we are the buyers! maybe I shouldn't have said that for the guys that are interested! but another way to get an idea on price is to call some of the second hand places and request prices for the parts you've got, places like Milano, italian job etc. or if you want to do it above board ask them for a job lot price after getting some info off another supplier, bit sneaky but you deserve to get a reasonable price and you'd probably take a % off as anyone having to pay the same fro private parts will always take parts off a supplier.

I may be interested in some parts but could you specify the exact year/model. I have 1750GTV but I think your talking the jumior, with the 1600 engine? not 1750?

1750GT

vicbook

Hi 1750GT,

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try that.  I've looked up ebay, but nobody seems to be selling the bits I have, not one engine or gearbox in over 1900 entries under "alfa".

I remember being surprised when I looked up the engine number about 16 years ago to find that it related to a 1750 and not the 1600 that it should have had.  The engine is in quite good condition in that it never required oil between services, but it needs new gaskets somewhere because there seemed to be a lot of oil on the outside of the block.  It was something I was going to do before it went back into the car.