Vista

Started by alfagtv100 (Biggus), May 17, 2010, 10:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I have been in the IT industry (as a bullshit artist) for quite a few years.
My work PC has been running Windows XP for the last 3 years.  A company sioftware update caused me to rebuild my PC using Windows Vista.
After a few days I must say I FU*KING HATE IT.
My PC blue screens every time I go to power down, none of my Bluetooth devices work, it asks me stupid questions and generally does its best to annoy me.
WHAT A PIECE OF SH*T
Regards,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Sheldon McIntosh

I also hated it after a few days, but once you configure it to your preferences it is a lot better than XP.  Spend a bit of time playing around with it, you'll find it's pretty good.  Unless you don't have admin rights, in which case I imagine it would suck.  Strange they wouldn't upgrade you straight to Windows 7.

I just made sure to not allow automatic updates, because that seemed to cause all sorts of shit.  And don't ever power down.

spieret

One thing you need to do with Vista is whenever you go to run an install program, for example to run your bluetooth devices, you need to right click the install file and choose run as administrator. Vista also doesn't like you going through the c: drive, it wants you to use the favourite links, otherwise you will have heaps of permission problems.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Mat Francis

I had a laptop which had Vista on it. After a week i formatted it and started from scratch with unix. Best thing i ever did. Probably not a viable solution in your case though
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

stustustu123

Yeah as above I'm surprised they are opting for Vista now when 7 has been out for a while already & has received a lot more positive press than Vista.  I think Microsoft listed pretty closely to the criticisms of Vista before they launched 7 as its a lot nicer to use.

My work will soon be upgrading from XP to 7 and skipping Vista completely (thank goodness!).  We upgraded my g/f's laptop from Vista to 7 a few months ago (and she was a Vista fan) - she finds it a lot more reliable than it was previously - less crashes!

I personally use Linux (Fedora) for pretty much everything I do at home these days though and see no reason to go back to using any MS products.
2007 159 SW 2.4 JTDM
1993 164 Super
Past:
1994 164 Super (Blue)
1992 164Q (Black)
1989 164 (White)
1988 75 3.0 V6
1983 Sud Ti

Evan Bottcher

Vista is the only MS operating system I haven't used in anger for my work since Windows 3.1, and am unlikely to (current customer is already on Win7). Admittedly I mostly use macos or Linux other than for customers.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
So, working for one of the biggest IT companies in the world would mean we use the latest systems, ensuring staff remain as productive as possable. kind of like we recommend our customers.
Logical.  Perhaps not.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

They should have named it Fista.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

spieret

I have been in the IT industry for 22 years and there is one saying that applies to everything. "When something is working perfectly it's time to upgrade"
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Well put.  It keeps the industry ticking along.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

branko.gt

Quote from: alfagtv100 (Biggus) on May 18, 2010, 08:35:03 PM
They should have named it Fista.
that is what they call it in Germany  ;D

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I just upgraded my PC from Fista to XP.  Big improvement.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

Steve S

I have 2 computers I use daily, one with Vista and one with XP. Vista seems to get a raw deal but I don't see why, I prefer it overall.  Vista requires more power and the permission problems are a pita but that's all. XP is more straight forward to use, it gives you more freedom but its starting to show it age. It's always easier to get things running on Vista, especially things like bluetooth, networks. It also uses modern CPU's a lot more effectively. Multitasking on XP can be terrible.