To buy or not to buy 1971 GTV 1750 MKII

Started by DavidD, June 15, 2010, 05:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidD

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice before I purchase a 1971 GTV 1750 MKII.
The asking price is $4000, the interior is in excellent condition but it has a couple of noticable rust spots, apparently everything mechanical is in good shape, except the 1750 motor.
The fellow I'm buying the car from says it will probably need a new engine, but it may have only blown the head, I haven't got my head into it yet so am not sure. The car has been sitting idle for at least 2 years. :-\
So my questions 1. Is it worth buying? 2. Best case worst case senario on the engine, replacement costs (1750 or 2000), rebuild or reco?

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi David,
There are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself. This $4k car will be an $8k car, easy, to get back on the road. If it has not been running for a while you need to factor in the hydraulics (brakes, clutch), probably an exhaust, new tyres, full service, tune on the new engine and assorted electrical issues as a minimum. You may get lucky. Can you spend an extra $4k to $5k to get back on the road? Are you happy to live with the grief and angst. Been there done that. Have a chat with Hugh Harrison at Monza Motors or Bruno at Maranello Motors who will provide sound advice.
Best Regards
Phil

Davidm1600

Hi David, more to the perfectly wise advice from Phil, as a long term (13 years) '69 1750 GTV (series 1 owner), in basic terms yes is the first answer to the question, since, if your heart is set on getting one, and this one is basically not rusty, then $4K is a steal, irrespective of all the other things you need to consider.

Lets brake it down a little.  In terms of averages, the sub $5K mark is usually reserved to full on restoration projects, usually with plenty or rust, tired mechanicals and average to poor trim (interior and exterior).  Average to ok condition cars normally are found in the $6-13K mark, nice to really nice cars from around $13k to $20K and top condition cars from $20-40K.  Beyond that mark are utterly exceptional cars of which there are probably only a small number.

In terms of collectability, apart from the early GTVs (stepnose) models, the 1750 (either series 1 or 2) are generally considered the next best bet.  I know I probably will upset some 2L and junior owners but in overall terms these then come next.  Such an assessment is made from watching both the local and overseas markets and comments made on other forums, magazine articles etc.

Ok, next item, if you do go ahead, you don't need to worry re the availability of parts as they are mostly in plentiful supply both (NOS) and or newly made.  Companies such as Classic Alfa, Alfaholics, Highwood Motor Co, EB Spares in the UK all have websites, similarly in the US there are places such as Centreline and IAP, while in Aus, we are well served by Milano Spares (Vic), PACE engineering (Vic), Turin Imports and a number of other places dotted around the country.  The only thing to consider is that it can get very expensive restoring a 105 from scratch.  Ask me as I know, for I am well into the resto of my '69 Giulia Super and then still have the GTV to do.

However, the good thing is that they are relatively robust mechanically though engines can suffer if not looked after, but this probably is not a concern as it sounds as if the car has an engine rebuild (full or partial) on the cards.   Allow $3K or so. My advice is to stick with the 1750 rather than replacing with a 2L since originality can affect the end value of a car.

The hydraulics are likely to need to be done after sitting for a couple of years, but hey that is not really a major issue. And lastly suspension also is a likely candidate for revision.  This can cost but it wont break the bank. Allow say $1-2K for front and rear each, depending on just how much needs to be done.  Gear boxes usually suffer from 2nd gear synchro problems and occasionally reverse gear problems. Full rebuild cost for a gearbox allow up to $2K.

However, given you say the mechanicals are supposed to be ok, that really doesn't sound as if this will be a problem.   

For me, the biggest concern in buying a 105 GTV is rust, and they seriously can rust everywhere you look, but especially, around the windscreens, and side glass, bottoms of doors (inc frame), around the door handle, cills rust both front and rear and in some cases the whole length.  Put the car on a hoist and look underneath as floors typically rust in many areas, but in extreme cases around the rear suspension hangers, front sway bar mounting, in the boot well, bottoms of rear guards, rear wheel arches, and of course the boot lid.  Look really closely before committing to buy.

Hope it all goes well, and lastly join the Alfa club if there is one where you live.  There isnt one in Tassie and so hence I am a founding member of Club Motori Italia, we cater for all Italian cars.  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

DavidD

Thanks very much fellas you comments are very much appreciated and helpful.
I will post some pics if I get the car.
Cheers David.

bobalfa

Hi   I owned a 2ltr 105 for 18 Years and I fully support David 1750's comments.  The car, being a simple beast, is easy to work on. Even the engine was not to much of a hassel but not as good as the Fiat twin cam!!!!  Rust could be your biggest problem and expensive to fix so have it carefully checked. There can be some very good bodgy jobs covering big problems as I discovered when we stripped the paint off.  $4k is v reasonable starting price, I sold my car for $18k in 2000 so the right one is a good investment

Good luck

Bob McCulloch