Coffee and Alfas

Started by bonkfrog, September 02, 2010, 11:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonkfrog

It seems to me that there's a natural affinity between our appreciation of fine Italian automobile machinery and the love of good coffee. I'm sitting here with a latte (doppio) as I type - I know, it should be an espresso, or at least a macchiato at this time of day - having just used my much loved Rancilio. Of course, it doesn't need as much maintenance as the Alfetta and its minimalist Italian design and appearance is offset by being called the Miss Silvia model but . . .

Are there any other coffee perverts out there? Should we post photos of our coffee machines? Where do we buy our coffee beans and what variety. Finally, I must add that I have a coffee tree growing; it's only 100mm high, but I expect great things.
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

UNICO

Bonk Frog,

I also have Miss Silvia at my home, and I'm very happy with her. We bought her about 2 and half years ago and never had an issue. We use to have the automatic Saeco but it kept breaking down.

I try to change coffee bean suppliers every few months, We're using Grinders beans at the moment, have used Five Senses, 7 seeds and Dimattina's in the past. But I guess it all depends on whether you are a short balck person or a latte person.

Ed

Rocco166

You're not alone on this one guys  ;D

over here in Perth I also have a great Fiorenzato coffee machine for home use and regularly get together with some of my Alfa mates at some of the great coffee houses around Perth. I use the "local" Yahava roasted beans from Margaret River -they roast their own beans so have a bean for every taste/style of coffee drinker...

Having just returned to work after a couple of weeks off I do miss the opportunity to sit out in the morning sun at my local cafe enjoying a great coffee (long mac + extra shot) admiring my lovely Alfa, now it's a quick drive by, grab a large take away and because there are no cupholders in a 166 nurse the coffee between my legs while I drive 30k's to work  :D
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 AR 90 Gold Cloverleaf
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

bonkfrog

That's brave Rocco! 30kms with hot coffee between your legs!
At the moment I'm using Genovese Super Brazil beans - anyone noticed the red paint colour on their vans? I also get beans from a local roaster in Albury for a change.

Rocco166

true, the 30K drive can get a bit hazardous  :o  occassionally I get to wear some coffee but generally it's not so bad -  the commute to work is on two of the most congested "highways" in Perth so there is no danger of getting close to the 100k limit normally I'll tool along behind a Q of traffic in the right lane at 40-60kph as the P-plater/tradie/retiree at the head of the line applies make up/eats cereal/plays with their Navman...in those situations a great coffee comes in handy  ;D
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

Paul Gulliver

Quotenatural affinity between our appreciation of fine Italian automobile machinery and the love of good coffee. I'm sitting here with a latte (doppio) as I type - I know, it should be an espresso, or at least a macchiato at this time of day - having just used my much loved Rancilio. Of course, it doesn't need as much maintenance as the Alfetta and its minimalist Italian design and appearance is offset by being called the Miss Silvia model but . . .

If we are owning up to other Italian fetishs ( coffee machines) i have got 3 saeco's 2X  Coffee Magic & 1 Giro.

QuoteI use the "local" Yahava roasted beans from Margaret River -they roast their own beans so have a bean for every taste/style of coffee drinker
. Rocco is that coffee from the coffee roasters in Yallingup ? . Their coffee is always good.

At the risk or hyjacking / expanding this thread, where is your favourite coffee spots in Melb ? and where do you get your beans.

Here's a few for starters Car Park Cafe Camberwell. Middle Park Hotel Middle Park . Country :Continental Hotel Sorrento  Innocent Bystander Heallesville. For beans , sorry Mocopan but Coffee Max Camberwell     
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Rocco166

QuoteI use the "local" Yahava roasted beans from Margaret River -they roast their own beans so have a bean for every taste/style of coffee drinker
. Rocco is that coffee from the coffee roasters in Yallingup ? . Their coffee is always good.

Yep that's them, they've moved to a newer premises just outside of Margaret River now on the main highway so business is booming - I always make sure I grab a few bags of roasted beans when I am down that way for some r'n'r....
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza

Paul Gulliver

QuoteFinally, I must add that I have a coffee tree growing; it's only 100mm high

Hey Bonkfrog any companion planting like the "Non flowering Tomato Bush, Bob Hope variety ". Ha Ha

Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Davidm1600

Hey guys for me at the moment, given I am on holidays (1 week skiing in NZ - Queenstown based, which was absolutely fantastic) and this week back on the home rennos project, any excuse to get down to my local cafe for a latte, double shot or espresso is gratefully appreciated.  At home, I rarely need any excuse to fire up my Bialetti for a decent espresso or if needs must even a plunger.  At the moment I have been mostly appreciating the flavours of Tas Coffee Roasters dark Colombian, Mocca and French Blends or if needs must pre-ground Lavazza. 

I love the smell of freshly ground coffee beans first thing in the morning !!!! 

Oh and the 156 sportwagon certainly has been getting some use too, transporting me out to the country property for the daily rennos project. Plastering at the moment, what joy !!  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

dehne

lavazza is what you all should be drinking as they do support alfa's i remember 2 yrs ago they gave away 5 alfa's i think. i certainly drank my quota then trying for the alfa got a bit sick of it in the end, but the best coffee ive found so far is african beans get them from a local importer of coffee
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

bonkfrog

Dehne
That's nothing! I can remember giving away Alfas several times (installing guibos without the compressor).
Davidm1750, yes, the Bialetti - simple and it works; elegance in design.

pep105

Yeah Im a Coffee Pervert amongst pervin at other things ;) so also have a Rancilio 'Signora' Silvia with the Rocky grinder, its a great combo and I love it. Basically a scaled down industrial coffee machine so the internals are rock solid, with features like a brass boiler and copper fittings that opens up a can of whooparse on the old Saeco Magic Comfort it replaced.

The Saeco was great in the first 2 years then started to break down (sounds like my 147), in the end it was about as reliable and expensive to service as a 1980's Maserati BiTurbo......

The Silvia has been faultless although it went back under warranty once due to the chrome plating flaking on the cover where the portafilter goes, yet most of the other parts are stainless

Ive sampled various brands & blends but usually buy my beans from a local roaster in Moonee Ponds, I usually get two blends a stronger richer one for me (short blacks) and a smoother less bitter one for the Latte set that tends to visit all to often.

Heres a few photos of the Ranci with my 1965 Giulia Sprint GTA parked out the front......
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

pep105

Yes +1 for the Bialetti fantastic, works well with Kimbo coffee

Please post photos of your coffee machine(s)   
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

lombardi

Un buon caffe vale la vita.

I share your passion for coffee,have 2 machines,one in the garage,a GACCIA Classic with 17bar pressure,perfect for espresso and a gaccia grinder,grinding is nearly as important as the coffee quality.

In the SPAM theres a DELONGHI fully automatic new generation with burr grinder,a little beauty,makes awesome espresso with good crema as long as the caffe is freshly roasted.

I also had a SAECO FULLY auto in the past,unfortunately it spent more time getting fixed than making caffe.

My passion is collecting those great little works of art BIALETTI moca machines,have probably about 12 on display,in italia this is still the housewifes and nonnas favourite way of making caffe.

As for coffee quality and crema-have noticed that brand name doesnt count as much as x how freshly roasted the beans are as to the amount of a good crema. In sydney i go to the factory of BRASILERO where they wood fire the beans and the result is the most abundant thickest crema,but the segret is the freshness-- alla salute
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: pep105 on September 02, 2010, 09:21:14 PM

Heres a few photos of the Ranci with my 1965 Guilia Sprint GTA parked out the front......

very cute photos :)! If i may ask where did you get your scale model of the 1965 Guilia Sprint GTA?
1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5L (Blue)
1989 Alfa 33 1.7 IE (Red)

To see my amazing photography visit http://www.marisagangemi.com/