Alfa twin cam

Started by paul edwards, November 21, 2010, 10:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul edwards

why is, or why do people call it the nord engine?
Cheers Paul

norman gen

nord means 'north' in italian.....see reference in wtb: nord 1.8 engine........a commonly mis-used term referring to 106 series (2600) and 105 series models/chassis

norman gen

.........also includes 116 series -alfettas; giulietta- 113; GTV6, alfetta GCL - 117;  alfa 75, 90, 164, (162, 161 and 164 series)

Reference: Spotlight on Alfa Romeo Downunder Pt 1, 2 , David Wright

Frank Musco

Paul, I believe it stands for...

:o Not On Race Day :o

Obviously I'm wearing my bullet proof jacket, pants and helmet ;D

Go the Mighty 'Boxer' Sprint!

pep105

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Frank Musco

O.K Pep, just checking peoples sense of humour. I've got plenty more acronyms, although from the lack of response I'll keep them to myself.
You know I'm just joking, I love the old twin cam, sincerely, I'll race one any day, and will in the future.

So... from Italian, the word Nord translates to North, and Sud translates to South, does that have anything to do with why?

Sincerely Frank... ;)

wankski

yes it does...

IIRC...

it does mean nord as in north, as they were the true 'alfa' engines designed and made in house.

The modern twin cam Nord engine became so called at the time (60s) when the original guiletta became an icon for alfa. This was so called as it was the first car to be build entirely at the new Arese plant (north of Milan!) that replaced the old pre-war portello factory. Even at the time the differentiator 'nord' was used as the older portello factory pumped out the 1900 which used IIRC a 1.3L twin cam that was immediately recognisable alfa twin-cam.

This differentiated between the then new factory sud, or in the south that focused on you guessed it Alfasuds... this was apparently heavily subsidised by the italian government to bring jobs to the area... along with it came fwd drivetrains and of course the boxer engine which was shared with the il-fated ARNA.

The use as a differentiator today is popular to distinguish the 'true' alfa twin cams of all-alloy design from the modern fiat block engines. Similar to how the older v6s are often called arese v6, as that was the location of the engine factory - again used to differentate b/w those 6s and the current GM block motors. The 6s are called arese instead of nord as alfas during the 90s stopped being made in the Milan plant (hence dropping Milano from the badge), but the 6s still continued to be made at the arese plant until 2005, and found their way into fiat-based alfas, the last of which being the faccelift 156s. The cars during the 90s were relocated to the Turin and Naples factories where the current models continue to be built today.

i think. heh.  :D

pep105

Hey Frank (Chicho Pastichio)
I know you love the two stick Alfa donk you've had your share, plus your a shit stirrer like me  :)

I thought your acronym was quite funny, PM me the others if you like  :)

Do you want to build an Alfetta/GTV race car ? We can paint it green
huh whaddya say ?
My missus will love it mate

Love
Peps
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Frank Musco

Nice reply wankski, sounds good to me.

Now Pep, don't get me started. I'm waiting for you to show up in one, I know you'd be fast, you bloody hoon! ;D

Cheers Chicho Pastichio

Frank Musco

Paul, That's what I like to hear, I just want to play. Let me try again with another acronym...

:)New Omnipotent Real Donk :)

I hope you like that. I'll be very disappointed if you don't bring it, and I mean fast, very fast! No Pressure;)

Cheers

Frank Musco

Paul, that is an awesome lap time on normal tyres and a standard engine, well done! Your definitely on the right track with who your dealing with, and with some real tyres I know I'll have trouble keeping up with you. Not sure how the old Sprint did it, but it fluked a 1:43.2 last meeting at Winton which is as fast as I'll ever go. What kind of lap time are you aiming for? Do you think you can break 1:40?

Frank Musco

You're a quick learner. That will do it Paul.  8)