New Alfa Junior and 149

Started by John Toomath, June 30, 2007, 10:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Toomath

These 2 news releases give a tantalising look at the next generation of new Alfas.  Thankfully they look to continue the sporting bias and design beauty that we all like so much.

The first link is quite old but the computer image looks pretty close to the  official sketch drawings in the newer item.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2006/cars/alfa_romeo/12/junior/2012.html

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2007/cars/alfa_romeo/06/morgan_stanley_investor_presentation/2806.html

Regards,
John
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

Victor Lee

We reckon the Junior in its original drawings looked a bit sad!  Here's one we've prepared earlier!

Victor

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

John Toomath

Well done Victor. You now have the choice of forwarding the image to Alfa_Romeo_Centro_Stile.com or getting the moulds made for the international launch of the Victor Bodykits business!  :)

alfagtv58

This just goes to prove that a manufacturer can design and produce new cars with some style and class, please take note messrs. Toyota, Mitsubishi etc.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Victor Lee

Thanks!  Can't take the credit ... Mary's the one whose good at photoshop!

Agree: Style and class is one thing; but when (if at all) will Alfa go back to RWD?  I heard that the BMW 130 owner that ran on Sandown on Sunday choose that car over the 147 GTA because it is RWD.   

Hey John,  how'd you and your GTV go at Sandown on Sunday?  I didn't manage to catch up with you.  From my observations, because of various "issues" and delays out of the Club's control, it probably wasn't the best Sprint day AROCA Vic has held.  I hope that hasn't put you off sprinting!  I'm sure the next Club sprint at Winton will be much better!

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

John Toomath

Victor,

The sprint day went really well overall.  The delay in getting started meant that the track was nearly dry when I first went out.  Mick Aarons gave me some much appreciated guidance through the familiarisation laps. I then had a dry practise and first timed run.  I managed a 1:45 lap which I was really happy with.  That time is flattered by the power of the V6 rather than my cornering skill. It would take several more laps before I could be less conservative at the end of the straights The goal was to not get too enthusiastic and after feeling the car squirming around a little in the next wettish run I decided to call it quits.

The things that struck me most were the power and music from the engine, the strength of the brakes (thanks Mary for the advice at the new members night to get the brake fluid renewed and bled) and the cars koni suspension providing cornering composure beyond my needs.

I'm now really keen to try Winton, which everyone says is a much friendlier track for a novice. There I will be able to progressively up the ante a bit without walls looming close by. The big dilemma swirling around in my head is do I buy a $5k track car or stick with the GTV? The weekend showed that the GTV is wasted on the road. It likes the track. I just can't crash it.

Regards,
John Toomath