Old Alfas that raced at Lakeside in the 60s

Started by hammer, December 02, 2010, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Below is a press release that has gone out to media about the 50th anniversary of Lakeside Raceway in Queensland, taking place next year.If you happen to own or know the whereabouts of any Alfas that raced at Lakeside during its early years in the 1960s or 70s, Queensland Raceways would love to hear from you. They are trying to round up as many "original" cars from the era for a display and possible cruise laps of the circuit at the first celebration race meeting in April.

Neil Lewis at QR is the guy to contact. His details are below.

Cheers, Brent

LAKESIDE CELEBRATES 50 YEARS OF GOLDEN MEMORIES

Queensland's only Grand Prix motor racing circuit, Lakeside Park (or Lakeside International Raceway, as it was previously known) next year celebrates its 50th anniversary and we need your help in tracking down original vehicles from Lakeside's early years to participate in the festivities.
Queensland Raceways would love to hear from you if you own or know the whereabouts of any of the original cars that raced at Lakeside throughout the 1960s.  Our contacts are listed below for your reference if you can put us in touch with the owners of any original vehicles, or indeed the drivers who competed in Lakeside's formative years.
Lakeside has accumulated 50 years of unforgettable motor racing memories, from its official opening on March 19, 1961, to its pair of Grand Prix in 1966 and 1969, rounds of the legendary Tasman series, the Australian Superbike Championships, the roaring sports sedans and of course, the circuit's mainstay for many years the Australian Touring Car Championship.
To mark this golden milestone, Queensland Raceways, the operators of Lakeside Park, plans to hold four celebratory events throughout the course of 2011. The first of these events is The Originals and is open to all cars manufactured prior to 1969 – with preference given to pre '65 cars. The idea is to cultivate a field of cars similar to those seen tearing around the original Lakeside tarmac back in the '60s and '70s – from the commonplace Minis, Cortinas, Austins and Holdens to the more exotic Jaguars, Porsches, MGs, Lotus and the occasional Cadillac or Plymouth.
The Originals celebration race meeting will take place over three days on April 8-10, 2011. With racing and regularity categories on track, as well as displays at various points throughout the venue, this event will provide the ultimate trip down memory lane for anyone who has participated or spectated at the legendary Lakeside circuit over the past 50 years.

THE ORIGINALS – 50 YEARS OF MAGIC

Lakeside Park – Lakeside Road, Kurwongbah
Friday, April 8 to Sunday, April 10

Enquiries: Neil Lewis at Qld Raceways – 07 5461 9100 - or lp50@qldraceways.com.au            

ItalCarGuy

I think the John French driven Alec Mildren GTA is in Perth? Here are a couple of pics from a fellow alfanatic work colleague that he took in the day. And a pic from last year by me at Lakeside.

hammer

Derek,

Thanks for the pics. If your work colleague has these at a fairly high resolution and doesn't mind me using them to help promote next year's Alfa Romeo East Coast Challenge at Lakeside, I'd love to get hold of these John French pics. John has been asked to be the patron of the event. Best email address to send them to if it is OK with your mate, is brent.hampstead@mediahammer.com.au

I'll post full details of the ECC early next week - just waiting on the competition secretary to approve the details.

Any idea how I get in touch with the guy in WA who has the car?

Cheers,

Brent

ItalCarGuy

No worries with the photos, I think I have them as a higher res scan, plus a couple of colour slide scans of another GTA lining up against some XU1s at lakeside. My work buddy Doug Hutton (one of the founding AROCQ members I think) says it wont be a problem to use them. AndrewM on the Alfa BB is the perth guy so maybe send him a PM. He had 2 or 3 of the GTAs GTAJs at one point. Pretty sure I saw the car at the Melbourne 100 year celebrations. I'm sure one of the Melbourne guys know more.

hammer

Thanks Derek. Appreciate your help. Looking forward to these 50th anniversary celebrations. Should see some great old cars in action. Believe it or not I never went to Lakeside as a kid. i grew up in housing commission Woodridge in the 70s and barely new a world existed outside the Beenleigh line. Making up for lost time in my 40s.

Cheers,

Brent