WTB 2000 motor

Started by DADSGIULIA, December 05, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADSGIULIA

WTB 2000lt motor & g/box to transplant into Giulia super rather atired motor to rebild i am located in Melbourne but will travel if need be

prova

I have got a 2000 engine from an 82 GTV if this is any good to you. I am located near Geelong about a 50 minute drive from the Westgate. Was running when removed from car no carbies and a few other bits and pieces. Cannot help with a box though.

Ren

DADSGIULIA

Hi Ren thank you copuld you please tell me what else is missing please and how much??

Renato

DADSGIULIA

Hi Ren it might not suit the Giulia was that motor out of an Alfetta ??

AikenDrum105

Quote from: DADSGIULIA on December 06, 2010, 09:01:24 AM
Hi Ren it might not suit the Giulia was that motor out of an Alfetta ??

Hi Renato,   

I've just done another 2L alfetta to 105 conversion and fitted to my '66 super.  The original 2L 105 motors are getting pretty thin on the ground (or very expensive).

If you can find an Alfetta motor that happens to have the pilot bushing hole machined in the back of the crankshaft (for the nose of the gbox input shaft to slot into) - and it's a great runner already -   all you really need to convert it to use in a 105 is:
* a 2L 105 flywheel  (possibly the hardest piece to find - you can have one machined up easy enough - see Vin Sharp)
*  a 105 sump and oil pump
* possibly a 105 front timing cover, timing gearset and  water pump if you cherish the mech. drive tacho.
* 9 tooth starter, 2L dizzy (the 1600 dizzies have higher final advance..  I think...)
* engine to bellhousing spacer plate (if it doesn't run around the starter mounting flange - you need the starter spacer plate too)
* gasket kit, engine mounts perhaps :)
* you might need to have the exhaust downpipes bent or extended a little if they are too close to the bodywork on the taller engine

Seeing as you have the timing cover and sump off - it's not really too big a deal to undo the mains and big end bearings and remove the crankshaft if you have to have that pilot hole machined (Vin can do this for you too)

mains and big end bearing sets aren't too expensive - check the journals with a micrometer and chuck some new ones in....  This is the slippery *I might as well replace that while I'm in here* slope part of the thing.

Depends on budget really,    if you find a motor with the pilot bushing hole ready to go,  and aren't attached to the mechanical tacho drive off the water pump - you can just change the sump and the oil pump, fit a 2L flywheel and starter and away you go.

As long as you have the later hydraulic clutch,  a 1750 or 2L gbox should drop straight in.  As I understand it - the ratios are the same inside the gearboxes, except for some 1300 boxes which have a shorter 5th gear.

i hope that helps - if you knew all that already,  apologies :)

Cheers,

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

prova

Hi

The engine is missing the dizzy and exhaust manifold as well. It does come with a starter and an alternator. The engine was pretty good and only removed for a later twin spark conversion - $100 and its yours.

Ren

DADSGIULIA

Thank you Scott i forgot about the Sump but i didnt give the Dizzy a thought at all maybe I should stick with what ever motor dad put in it ( it might be 2L) and pull it down and see if it  i am in no rush to do it BUT now that you have done it youre my main contact love to see some fotos Scotty

AikenDrum105

If you already have a 2L in the Super, definitely renew that one.  Front of the head should have a  square mark with a diagonal through it I think for 2L,  inverted triangle inside a circle is 1750 (I forget what the 1600 is - triangle with a dot ?   )

There's loads of info on the alfabb on how to do the convo, and expect plenty of folks here on these forums have done them as well,  not to mention twin-spark conversions - shiny.

- the first one I did is here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-rebuilding/40326-2l-engine-rebuild-advice-tips-please.html,   some of the info on the super engine I just did is here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1963-1974/171691-66-super-resto-melb-oz.html

There's some better step by step pics of the 2nd engine I did - mostly the short block as the head was fine - I'll post them up - I know how handy it is to look at other folks pics when you're trying to work out what goes where and which way round.

Cheers,
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Barry Edmunds

Ren
I have a 2 litre motor with 10548 camshafts from a Giulietta available. Motor was refreshed with new rings and bearings not long before it was taken out of my rear-ended Giulietta.
Will only require the crankshaft to be machined for the spigot bush, and 105 sump (deep). As others have advised Vin Sharp can do any machining of the crank.
I have been running a 2 litre in my Super for nealy 3 years without problems.
Call me on 0405 383 431 if you need further info.
Barry

DADSGIULIA

thanks very much for all the infos guys maybe i shoud see what motor is in it first , also dad fitted a2L LSD in it my dad is abit of a rev head and alfa mad, i went Italy two years ago and only seen one giulia but my f*&^$$#t cousin wouldnt stop for me to look at it grrrrrrr and that was the last one i saw