How good was PI 12 Dec !

Started by GregSale, December 16, 2010, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregSale

Hi
As a first time driver at an AROCA trackday I just want to say thanks to Neil, the flaggies, safety car driver, and the dozens of people who gave up their time for such an awesome day (I flagged at Sandown and that was a pretty good day I must admit).
All I can say to anyone who thinks they need a light weight race car to have fun I say get out there in your Alfa and have a ball - I took my 07 2.2 spider so obviously not a race car by any means.... but its impossible not to have a great day at such a well organised event - hat off to you Neil !
As to the Spider - it REALLY needs some lateral support in the seats to give some confidence (a taller 2nd gear'd be nice but you cant have everything) - felt like it was moving about heaps but looking at some photos it wasn't as bad as it felt, but for a car with stock springs/shocks it wasn't too bad, probably cleared the cobwebs out of the engine, which ran surprisingly well  - all of which can only mean one thing - gotta go back and try again ;D
cheers
2007 Spider Black

Anthony Miller

Hi Greg, sounds like you had a ball, good onya mate. You are so right when you say get out there and have a go, it's truly the most fun you can have with your pants on. Before you go changing your seat try a decent set of belts, even a 4 point harness will stop you sliding about in you seat, allowing you to concentrate on pointing it in the right direction. I must say that I'm a little jealous of everyone who went to PI last week but glad to read the reports and look at the pics, can't wait til next year for three goes at the island.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Paul Gulliver

Anthony is right on this one, a $200.00 spend  ( eg  http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/index.php?PCID=10412&PSO=245&PSID=9501005_00&PSV=Primary&CDO=
will really change the experience.

On the track most standard alfa seats and belts are akin to sitting in a "wok" and trying to steer . A good harness will improve the experience and a  racing seat even more so. Be careful because not to far past here and you start getting on the slippery slope of wanting your car to go faster & faster. Costs go up accordingly.

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

John Toomath

A very good tip I got from Mick Aarons when he first took me around Sandown on my first trackday was to jerk the seatbelt before engaging it in the clasp.  If you breath in and squash it in, you end up with a solid belt bracing you instead of a free moving inertia belt.  I used the technique for the rest of the season in my GTV.  It made a huge difference, largely overcoming the impact of the flat seat.  For a road car used occasionally on the track this solution works pretty well.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

aggie57

Greg - if you fit a harness please make sure it is securely mounted to points that are both positioned correctly and will not give way or move on impact.

The CAMS manual gives excellent instructions on this and is available online, the section on harnesses being here:

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen_req/GQ10_Schedule_I_Q410.pdf

Too many people put in harnesses and do not heed these instructions.  Classic example is Alfetta GTV's using the top of the rear bulkhead or the child restraint bracket.  Both give way very quickly under stress and scrutineers will often pass them regardless.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

GregSale

Thanks everyone- it was easily the most fun with my pants on... even if my son was 13 secs faster in a 1.6L NA MX5  -  John I tried the thing with my belt (breath in...tug hard etc) but it still let go by T1 - am now looking to see if there is a problem with the belt in my car as I agree it should lock me in but wont.
A harness in my every day work car.....that I will have to look in to as I like the comparison to sitting in a wok - I described it as driving from a waterbed (old enough to have had one) and yes Paul, I have avoided track days in a variety of cars over the years because I am EASILY sucked into the springs/shocks/tyres on 2nd set of wheels/timing/intake/exhaust/tuning (ok mapping) money pit - at this stage I'll be happy to get firm in the seat and get another 5 ...no 10.....15,,, oh oh - and now it it starts................
2007 Spider Black