Questions to ask a seller

Started by Alfalfa, July 08, 2007, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfalfa

Hey,
      I've been looking around for a GTV/GTV6 for awhile now, waiting for the right one to pop up. I came across a 1986 GTV6 with a 3.0L (what the?) with a new reco'd gearbox, power steering (i was under the impression GTV's didnt have it?). Only problem is that its in WA so I can actually go and look at it as I'm in VIC. Just wondering what some good questions to ask would be to gain a good understanding on the condition of the car, both mechanically and physically.

Thanks,
           Christian
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

Victor Lee

I've just read this month's AROCA WA magazine classifieds and there is a 1980 Alfetta GTV 2000 with a "3 Ltr Q spec v6".  Asking price is $29,500?  Is this the car you are referring to?  The pic shows a a metal bumper bar car with V6 bonnet bulge.  It sounds like a bit of a show car with leather seats, polished engine bay, detailed drive train, 17" polished rims.  But that's horses for courses (so to speak) and maybe that's what the owner wanted to achieve.

Alfa 3 litre V6 engines came in 12 valves (Alfa 75's) and later in the Alfa 164Q's in 24 valves.  If the Q means 24 valves, then this is came from the 164Q.  It has to be an Alfa enthuisast's car, especially with the claimed $45k spent on it.  Power steering can be adopted into a GTV.

As far as I am aware, there used to be 4 Alfetta GTV6's with 3 litre 24 valves in Victoria:  One went to NSW, two were written off (one engine is being transplanted into another car; the other engine is for sale), and I've got the last one. 

Some questions to ask: 
What did the owner build it for?  For show or to sprint/race?
Confirm whether its is a 12v engine or 24v engine (its sounds like the latter).
Ask what engine management system is being used.
When was the cam belt last changed?
When was the gearbox done?  How is 2nd gear syncro?  How are the donuts?
Can he produce all the receipts for the $45k spent?
Do the 17" rims rub on the guards?  What profile are the tyres?

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

scott.venables

Could 'Q' spec be 'S' cams and compression ratio?

Maybe also:
Who did the conversion if it's a 24valve?
Who tuned it if it's got aftermarket injection?
Is the transaxle rebuilt/modified at all?  Does it have LSD?
Has it been resprayed? 

Cheers, Scott

Alfalfa

thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

as far as it being the 1980 alfetta, no its not. Its a white 1986 GTV6. I've been told however (by a reliable source) that Alfa did produce a small amount of factory 3 litres in South Africa in the late 80s. And by small i mean around 200. It surely can't be one of those?? i just found this one checking out different car classifieds, not through any alfa club magazines or websites.

But thanks, i'll ask some questions and update you when I get some answers!

Cheers,
          Christian
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T

Previous:

scott.venables

You're right about the South African 3 litres.  They also ran 6 carburettors.  They also had a mean bonnet with a scoop.  There are a few guys in WA on the alfagtv6.com forum with SA models.  Maybe it's one of them.  I remember one of them left the carbies in SA when he bought the car over and had Gotech EFI fitted instead.  If it's a SA import, this could be the one.

Victor Lee

Hi Christian,

That's sounds like a good price for GTV6 3.0lt! 

I know a few people in Melbourne who have put 3.0lts into their GTV6 2.5lts.  When an engine rebuild or reco is necessary, it was actually cheaper to put in a good 3.0 lts from an Alfa 75, than the cost of the reco the 2.5lt engine.

Talk to Hugh Harrison at Alfpa Repairs (ph: 9729 9946).  He's done a few conversions and will know what sort of questions to ask.

Cheers

Victor

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Alfalfa

thanks for all the suggestions again guys. I tried to get in contact with the seller but couldnt get through. I think I'll give it a miss, its not an original 3ltr and im not in a position to go to Perth!

However, does anyone have any info on Mille Miglia Motors? I went there today and he had a few cars to show. Just wondering whether to trust his opinion or not? Any experiences in dealing with them would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T

Previous:

Fast Eddie

Joe always seems to come up with the good looking Alfas but like anything, do your homework and set yourself a budget.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.