Help! ALFA 33 intro to Oz?

Started by MisterQ, January 04, 2011, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterQ

G'day,
The never ending saga of registering my car in Queensland goes on... I'm an engineer with the army, and I thought I'd seen the very limits of bureaucracy, but I'm staggered...  >:(
Can anybody help?
The current problem is that QLD Roads want me to identify the car that my engine originally came from... the problem is that that particular car is now in a land-fill site in Germany.
I've identified the engine as an Alfa33 1.7 Kat model, as the engine number starts with AR 305 58A.
Can anybody tell me if that model Alfa was available in Australia and if so, when did it go on sale?
I've seen several second hand cars for sale here, so they must have got here somehow... but QLD Roads insist that it must have been "officially imported by Alfa themselves". I've asked Alfa Romeo directly, but they haven't been able to provide an answer yet.
Thanks for any help you can offer...
See ya,
Billy

colcol

Re 33, Asking Alfa Romeo is a waste off time, as the current importers don't want to know about any cars before 1997, thats when they started importing their cars, up until 1992 the cars were imported by Alfa Romeo Australia who turned it up then, and retrenched the dealers much to the chargrin of the the then Alfa drivers, your car engine numbers don't match up with the ones the car should have, have you considered, buying another motor from a wrecker, with the correct numbers for Australia, or getting a seized \blown up motor and restamping the engine block with the correct numbers off that motor, i have heard that there is a division of Fiat\Alfa, in Italy that will tell you all the vital statistics of vin\engine numbers, date produced, colours etc, but i have no idea of a link, i have only heard about it, best of luck, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

You can send an email to ArchivioStorico@alfaromeo.com and explain the situation.  I'm pretty certain for the earlier cars they didn't record engine number to chassis numbers, but they may have for the later cars.

I think you can also register on http://www.archiviostorico.alfaromeo.it/ and send the request that way.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MisterQ

G'day Folks,
Thanks for the advice.
I wrote to the Alfa register (ArchivioStorico@alfaromeo.com) suggested and they replied with some info and another contact... CustomerServicesInternational@fiat.com
Still waiting to hear back from them, but it might be of use if anybody else finds themselves a victim of the same paper-work nightmare I'm going through.
See you,

Billy

VeeSix

You are kidding! How old are these vehicles! Might be best just to put another engine in for registration then throw the other in! 8)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV