Le Mans - The Movie

Started by Scott Farquharson, July 13, 2007, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

As great as the movie is, the only problem is that you kinda have to barrack for the Porsches and I just can't do that....and I even kinda like the 917.....
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

I see it more as barraking for Steve McQueen than barraking for the Porsche, sorta like when Brock drove the Volvo (or Lada for that matter), we were barraking for the driver not the vehicle.

As for Porsche, after seeing some of the exotics shipped into Oz for the Phillip Is Historics, surely you must have been impressed by them.  They are no Blue Alfetta GT, but they were pretty nice!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Sheldon McIntosh

You've gotta be kidding right?

What the hell's wrong with Porsche?  The most successful sportscar manufacturer of all time, and one who goes racing for the sole reason of making their cars even more focused and awesome than they already are?  I knew I should have been a copywriter.  "Porsche - focused and awesome"

Alfa's are great, but it doesn't mean we can't appreciate other marques surely?  For me, I would have a 911 Carrera  RS (1973  2.7) over (almost) any Alfa.  Sacrilege maybe, but remember, it's all just opinions.

As for Le Mans, what a movie.  The first movie I ever saw on our first Video Recorder.  Thank god for older brothers.  And McQueen wears the best watch ever, the Tag-Heuer Monaco.  And correct me if I'm wrong (I've been wrong before) at the start of the movie doesn't he have a race in his 911 against a 1965 Mustang?  Or is he driving a 65 Mustang?  It's been a while since I saw the film.

alfagtv58

haha...Porsche - Focused and awesome.  Sorta like their marketing slogan back in the 80's "Porsche - There is no substitute", which was used in the Tom Cruise film Risky Business....only problem was he was driving the 928!  Good car the 928, well balanced in comparison to the 911, but the purists just wouldnt have a front engined car!

Sheldon, if you like the 1973 RS 2.7, you should check out Phil Verwoert's car at the next Group S race, a magnificent (& genuine) car.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Sheldon McIntosh

The 928 is a fantastic car, and very underestimated.  My father owns one, and I've driven it on a track back-to-back against a 911SC.  It was actually for a magazine article back in NZ, and the magazine has gone bust so I probably won't get in trouble if I post it here later (famous last words).

The 928 was supposed to replace the 911, bu you can read all about it soon, I'll try and post the whole article.....

To Be Continued.............

Scott Farquharson

I love it!  Bring the closet Zuffenhausen fans out.......

Yeah, look I love a 917, but the 911's - seriously what kind of stubborn mentality perseveres with the engine hanging 2 foot past the line of the back axle - it's just wrong.

And really, 911 drivers, back to that Dudley Moore honesty in advertising movie - forget "Awesome and Focused", how about "If you're a wanker - a 911 is for you"

Nah, give me italian any day of the week.....

As for the movie - my parents took me to the drive-in to see it when it came out back in 1971, I was 7 and the movie was forever imprinted on my mind - I can still remember it vividly...
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

y'old bugger.  I wasn't even born.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

a sharp

Scott
Just do the right think and ring Kate and make your booking for the AROCA movie night, It will be your last chance ever to see Le mans on the big screen. Just remember the 917 was the monster the made the Nissan Skyline GTR look like a noddy car. long my we remember the era when Men where Men, sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous and the 917 was KING.

Fast Eddie

Yeah, c'mon Scott,
when else are you going to say goodbye to Me n Bec before we choof off to the Wild West?

It'll be fun to cheer n sneer at various cars n drivers.

And you can drag out your 70's suit to wear to commemorate the occassion ;D
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

QuoteYeah, look I love a 917, but the 911's - seriously what kind of stubborn mentality perseveres with the engine hanging 2 foot past the line of the back axle - it's just wrong.

Yeah, we could be stubborn and stay with what we think is right, and take 30 years to make arguably the best sports car of its time, risking bankruptcy a couple of times in the process.

Nah bugger it, let's get cold feet, listen to the critics and the accountants and start making front wheel drive "sports cars" adapted from our new owners' platforms.  Hang on, if that doesn't work, let's use engines from our other new owners, try and make them as addictive and sensual as our own engines, and see if people don't realise how heavy they are nowadays.

I thought I loved Alfa's as much as next as the next man, but I didn't realise the next man was blind.

Sheldon McIntosh

Scott - sorry if that was offensive, it wasn't meant to be.

I meant - You're a very good driver, 911's, 356's, even Beetles, were made for DRIVERS, not muppets.  Of course with an engine out the back of the rear axle the average driver is gonna be found out eventually.  Even Ralph Nader could see that.

But once you know how to drive a car like that, it's almost unbeatable.  Surely the record backs up this assertion? 

I think Porsche have been the most profitable car maker for over 20 years?  It's not because wan***s buy their cars, it's because they make the best sports cars in the world and they have done for 50 years.

It's well documented that a lot of people who made quick money in the 80's bought 911s, drove them (or tried to) for about two weeks, and then traded them for a 944 (which is also a great car IMHO).  They are the wan***s that gave Porsche their unfortunate name.

I've yet to speak to someone who has driven a Porsche that has anything bad to say about them.  I look forward to being enlightened. 

Scott Farquharson

Look Sheldon don't start getting all logical on me - I mean my prejudices are based on just that - prejudice.  I don't want to like Porsche's.  Yes, they win everything, and guys with more money than me can afford them, and have good looking girlfriends (many of them) and .... well you get the idea.  This isn't about the facts.  And no, I wasn't offended.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

BTW, the Beetle reference was stretching it a bit, rear engine and swing axles......hello....
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Oh, and do we all know this is the same night and Marcus and Kate's wedding....
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)