WTB 166 Automatic computer stuffed boards / or info on parts on board!

Started by Mike, January 11, 2011, 03:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi All, not quite sure where to put this request, it's more a call for help than a want to buy, although if someone has a damaged 166 automatic computer then I would be interested as I would be able to use spares off the board.  I am going to this extent as I am told that new auto computers cost about 3k Australian and I refuse to pay this.

I am currently repairing my auto computer after it has been soaked in coolant from the leaking heater box.  I am looking for anyone who can identify the parts circled on the board, other than part 'B' which we have already located and identified.

I have attached an image which may help others.

Part numbers of my 1999 166 auto computer:
0 260 002 453
ZF 6058001056
Fiat 46 46 49 360
002 FI009541
GCCL13990578
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

ANG156

I'll need to have a look if i have a damaged one lying around somewhere. Are you in Melbourne?
Interesting to see if it would work after you 'fix it'. Last time my friend needed one he found it at Max Oddi in sydney or you could try alfamotive in marrickville, NSW or anyone of the sponsors. By any change can you list the part number for the ECU.

Mike

I'd appreciate that.

The part number is GCCL003522,  0260 002 453 and its off a 1999 166.  I understand that there are different part numbered computers and that they have different programs in them, but I also know a fellow who has run one that was not the correct part numberr and he said he did notice slightly different shift conditions, but was not enough to bother him.

Right now, if I could find a computer in good condition I would be very happy...just not for the stupid money a new one costs as it's worth more thanthe car.  Pretty asd really, had the car for 2 weeks before the computer shit itself....someone else already knew there was an issue and bailed I guess.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

I've added the rest of the part numbers that are on the case of the computer in the first post for reference.  I have also been informed by Max Oddi that getting the wrong numbered computer is not an option as it simply does not work.  Fiat did change part numbers at some point (for the same item) and so perhaps the fellow I spoke to thought it was another modelled computer, but it is likely it is not...just in case anyone were to run off and grab any old computer!

What a pickle, no one seems to have one.  I was also told by a fellow who tried to repair his, that the board is of tripple layer construction and when he tried to solder he was having issues with parts arcing out, through the middle layer!  It's still worth a try as I really don't have any other option, other than to part out the car...which is kind of hard to accept when I've only driven it for 2 weeks...
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mike

I'm onto a couple of leads thanks to people on this forum and a local fellow.  Either way I don't think it's going to be to cheap unfotunately.  The irony is that the Auto is horrible really.  I imagine the work required to convert to manual would be massive...anyone done it?  There's internal trim, another pedal, computer integration, and that's before you get to mounting the box....

I have found a spare computer to pilfer parts from so the rebuild of mine is still a real possibility, will let people know how that goes.

Any one else out there got a computer they are willing to split with?

Thanks all for the help so far.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

spoynter

There's a thread on the BB where JungleJustice put one in a 164 with a 24v, not sure how similar the platforms are but I think it was a success :)

Mike

The auto computer sends info to the engine ECU, on the face of it it is likely to be a complex swap.

In mean time I think I have gotten my computer to work, also got one as a spare.  The tricky thing with these boards is they are tripple layer, so shorts can occure in the middle of the board...if this happens...you are stuffed and will not be able to repair.

It seems I have an issue with a suspected solenoid on the gearbox as well...will have to pull covers off this weekend and see where that gets me...at least eh issues are getting cheaper!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Evan Bottcher

I've heard it recommended to wrap or cover the gearbox ECU with plastic film or bags to protect it from future explosions of coolant.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mike

Even, this is my understanding as well, in fact, those who have a 166 will probably now realise that the auto computer is not the only thing sitting in harms way...how about the airbag computer?!!  Theres also a bunch of relays that run windows , gearbox solenoids etc.  Alfa dropped the ball here I am affraid, it's just a plain stupid idea to put everything here without appropriate protection.  So all you need is one leak from the heat (which seems to be very common) and if you can be in for a fortune!

I am going to persist becuase I like a challenge and the car is just so nice to drive onthe road, really comes into its own on a long drive.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

ANG156

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply but i had a look at my computer and relised the part numbers are different. I also opened it and the same micro chips or (whatever they are called) are blown as yours.

Mike

How do you know they are blown?  Have to remove from board to check this.ry drying the computer for a period of time...may come good.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

oz3litre

So the moral of this story is, if you buy a 166, it would be a good idea to get to work and seal all those vulnerable parts before disaster happens.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Mike

Correct, I am told, other than this issue, they actually very reliable cars.  So sucks to be me then :-).
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb