Racing-Just how useful torque the 3.0 is !

Started by MD, January 18, 2011, 09:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Here a racing video involving a 3.0 powered GTV6 and a 3.2L 24V powered 75 producing considerable more power. Not sure what the constraint factors are for the 75 but it could be a combination of suspension set up, tyre problems, and possibly brakes as well. Irrespective,a never say die attitude of the GTV6 driver makes for an interesting challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudlvImanIk&feature=related
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Evan Bottcher

That looks like a hoot - would like to see a rear view from the 75.  Guessing both cars had pretty shagged tyres at the end there.

The dash on that GTV6 wouldn't look out of place on a power station - enough switches and gauges?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Frank Musco

Loved how the GTV6 caught the 75 at the end of the main straight under brakes, and the big dive on the inside going for glory!

Sheldon McIntosh

Excellent video, and it looks like the GTV6 definitely has bigger brakes or cojones, or both.

240 bhp out of a 12v is pretty good though I would have thought, would surely need some internal work to get that out of it, and it does seem to rev pretty well.  But the extra 90 horses of the 75 are pretty obvious too.  Look at 2.10 to 3.00; the 75 makes huge gaps, but the GTV6 gets it all back under brakes and cornering.

Great stuff.

MD

We usually see where power makes a big difference in say a race mix of a 5.0L V8 dicing with a 2.5L Alfa where the V8 pulls away in the straights and the smaller car catches the larger one under brakes and in the corners. Nothing new there.

This is different. Essentially the same weight and chassis (for the sake of the argument)
However, it is evident that if you cannot put the power down and the chassis cannot use it, it is simply wasted.

We can only speculate why the 75 had this problem...

As for the guages.. if the owner got rid of two thirds of them, he may have got a better power to weight advantage. Obviously the KISS rule does not live here. :)

:D :D..er Paul, get a hold of yourself..er no, no, what I meant was take control of things will ya. You're the only person I know that has oral pizza and twin spark suplements.

Guys, we gotta help Paul. He gets the DT's, sweaty palms and a quivering bottom lip everytime he sees a 75 twin spark. I cannot say more because children may be reading this post. If he doesn't stop soon, he'll be walking with a cane and dark glasses before long.. Please help him.;D ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

Hahaa,

Simply gotta jerk your chain every now and then just to be sure your eyes aren't glazed over and dreaming about the red mist in a turbo twin spark buddy.. ;D ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

bonkfrog

Paul
The GT40 has never looked as good! That girl sitting (?) on the GT40 looks like a very nice type of young person (apologies to Barry Humphries).
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI