SPRING REMOVAL ON 156

Started by ALFA156DALE, January 19, 2011, 02:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALFA156DALE

Hi,
   I recently purchased a set of springs off ebay for my alfa 156 V6, dad and i have got the back ones in alright but having alot of trouble getting the front springs in (and alot of swearing getting thrown around.) how do we get the front spring out, do we have to take the whole unit out?

Thanks
Dale
-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

wankski

haha, good stuff...

IIRC the only way i know of doing it is completely withdrawing the front struts, the springs are attached to them with a that thingy on top of the spring... u will see a huge fork thingy with a massive bolt facing you - good luck with that... that alloy fork w/ bolt grips the bottom of the strut... when u get that off, (and you remove the upper wishbone!) you can withdraw the whole unit spring/damnper - then remove the top bolt - good luck with that - after applying spring compressors of course - then u can remove the coil from the strut. u need to mark the top cap when u put it on, otherwise it wont line up w/ the strut towers in the engne bay for the bolts to pass thru (2 of these for the strut, 2 for the wishbone IIRC)

downside is u need to be breaking some ball joints to get to it ofcourse... remove ARB link, steering rod etc...

ALFA156DALE

Thanks all done, looks so much better now all lowered and handles so much better, i took alfa out the coastal road around the light house and back home. thanks Wankski your info is exactly 100% correct.  ;)

Cheers
Dale
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202