105 Rear Wheel Bearing Kit

Started by Colin Byrne, July 19, 2007, 11:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

The rear wheel bearing setup is something I've never been happy with on the 105's.  having only an outer bearing and no inner bearing any movement between the inner and outer race of the outside bearing directly translates to wheel movement.  The original setup uses a single row deep grove ball bearing.  This type of bearing will always have movement in it, even when new, and even a small amount of movement in the bearing can translate to a significant amount of movement at the wheel.  This movement can create various issues
-   toe and camber change whilst driving, causing stability problems especially as speed increases
-   excessive pad knockoff giving an unpredictable pedal feel
-   scrutineering problems, as a perfectly normal bearing can be quickly diagnosed as a worn one

After Targa, we're I experienced all these issues, Bruno and I had a look to see if the problem could be helped.  We came up with using a wider double row deep groove ball bearing in place of the old single one.  We tested it out on my car at the AROCA Sandown event with good results, the car was much more stable and the brake pedal feel was significantly improved especially after a long straight when you need it most!  It worked so well we thought we would make it available as a kit.  The kit contents include

-   2 x High Quality Double Row Deep Grove ball Bearings
-   2 x Axle Seals
-   2 x Press Rings
-   2 x Machined Handbrake baking plate (Change Over)
-   2 x Laser Cut Spacer plates

Apart from pressing the bearings off and on the axle no other special tools are required.
$300 for the full Kit
Call Bruno @ Maranello Motors (03) 9386 9650
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)