oh man, never thought it'd happen to me!! MCSF/ABS/VDC/AIRBAG!!

Started by wankski, January 23, 2011, 12:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What dieded?

Battery
3 (60%)
Earth
0 (0%)
Engine
0 (0%)
Sensor(s)
0 (0%)
My faith in alfas
1 (20%)
Other
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

wankski

Haha... so basically this car has been running like a champ... ok, a few weeks ago the airbag light popped up..... then the lovely VDC failure... I did check into these and it coded as airbag curtain squib and FL abs sensor.... no problem i thought...

as long as its not something serious....

Tonight.... MCSF!! lovely - the one light i didn't want to ever see....

I'm hoping the whole thing is linked.... the airbag and vdc/abs lights clear themselves and come back.... now this MCSF.... I'm hoping its a really simple thing (read: cheap) and its just the battery or bad earths.... no problemo starting up and it measured 12.4v off and 14.4v at idle... under load it dipped but i'll have to check it all out properly....l

off to code it tomorrow... will be interesting to see what pops up.... i'm hopeful that it's not engine related as its running sweet as a nut!

what do u guys think!  ???

should be a prize for the right answer  ;D assuming i get an answer that is....

dehne

the problem is easy, the fiat motor compant stuffed it  ;D hope its just a reset otherwise give me 100 buck and ill take it off ya hands  ;)
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

wankski

no one voted ?? u guys suck!   :P

oh well - no biscuit for you!

anyways got around to looking at it... coded back with same VDC and Airbag fault so may actually be something wrong with those....

MCSF pinged back as Lambda1 (b1s1) - great - the more difficult to get to one! oh wells...

Cleared codes and the mscf and vdc seemed to go out, but i didn't take it for a spin... took the battery out for charging...

at least its just a lambda (big f'king deal!) no engine issues so i hope it just pinged back with the no signal code momentarily - maybe bad connection....

blew isopropyl down the curtain airbag connectors in the boot...

i'd expect the vdc and maybe airbag to come back up if it isn't the battery... hopefully it is... voltage is pretty good which is a pain with these massive batteries, tho my charger reckons it isn't charged yet, so we'll see....

fun!  ::)

btw, hoping the AUS market cars don't come with an alarm - didn't disable anything before i joinked the battery out   ;D

wankski

welp, at the moment all codes cleared.... the vds popped up for a sec and went away - may be an enduring problem w/ the fr left sensor.... will investigate....

wonder how many garages have charged for a new lambda at aus retail $$$ prices and labor, cleared the code, and all the while it was an intermittent code that only needed to be cleared.... ????    ::)

Craig_m67

I had some bizarre errors a while back, looked at connections all over the place no luck.  My battery was less than 2yr old, so it was the last thing i looked at, it was posting good volts too, so i was at wits end.  Eventually had it load tested by battery world and they pronounced it cactus.  New one in, all errors, gremlins ghosts... Gone.

That was the one and only time I've ever seen the dreaded MCSF.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

wankski

yer good point craig... i haven't ruled it out.... which is why i charged it.... if it holds off all codes for a while and then comes back i'll try a new 'un....

shame i have no idea about the batt history - picked up this car last yr... too bad i can't load test it... did the best i could putting all accessories on and then starting the car no issues and measuring voltage... all within spec... probably should replace so at least i know what i'm dealing with....

i suspect the vdc to be legit tho as it only popped up shortly after i jetwashed the car - inc arches... and when it does ping its the same FL sensor... i'll check it out anyway...

well see how we go... the mscf is not what i want to see from this car.... boo.  :-\

wankski

so far car is behaving... goes to show - just b/c ur car codes don't go accepting replacement parts.... the mech should accept the demand to clear first and ride it out...

as predicted presistent issue in the ABS sensor... tried cleaning it as i had a few mins free yesterday, still pinged (i was hoping there was a frayed wire or something stuck infront of the hall effect sensor - no such luck...

some pics...
first couple relate to charging batt and cleaning contacts and earths the next lot abs sensor...