clutch resurfacing wanted

Started by dehne, February 14, 2011, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehne

hi all
hoping this topic can help me as well as others
having a lot of trouble teying to get a new clutch for the 90 so im going to the next option and that is getting the one i have
re-surfaced. i have seen my local clutch guy and he says he can get it done but it goes to melb so the call is out to anyone who knows where it can be done.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

I find it hard to beleive that you would have trouble buying a new clutch for a 90, [but what i know], a freind of mine with a Sud years ago went through the drama of getting his clutch reconditioned, and every time they did it it wasn't quite right, but here is the problem, its not like a faulty oil filter that takes a minute to fit or remove, the clutch requires lots of work to fit and remove, and that is dirty heavy work, why not spend a few hundred dollars and get a brand new clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing and do the job once, when i was a kid, [shortly after the invention of electricity], changeover clutches, waterpumps, fuel pumps were quite common, but now that sort of thing is obsolete as mechanics don't like comebacks, i hope that the Alfa Romeo spare part outlets don't hear this, but i have always thought that Alfa clutch kit prices are quite reasonable, but recondition clutches is only for cars that you can't get new replacements anymore, such as a 1930 Cord, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dehne

the cheapest clutch kit i finally found was $1300, now ive picked up a clutch plate for $120, i have founf a new pressure plate for $100 delivered from the us now lookin g for a throw out bearing
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

scott.venables

Quote from: dehne on February 14, 2011, 06:25:35 PM
... im going to the next option and that is getting the one i have
re-surfaced. i have seen my local clutch guy and he says he can get it done but it goes to melb so the call is out to anyone who knows where it can be done.

Couldn't you send it to Melbourne?  Hugh at Monza Motors has someone he uses for clutch plate resurfacing (in Melbourne)

Scott

colcol

Good work getting the new clutch plate and pressure plate, you may be able to get a throwout bearing from a bearing supply dealer as some of them supply clutches as well, and sometimes you may find the bearing interchanges with something common, if you could find a cross reference listing, if i remember rightly about 15 years ago there was a place in Richmond, Victoria that reconditioned clutch plates, i went there with a freind who had a 20's Rover and the clutch material that was used was CORK!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MD

If you cannot get the original Sachs bearing, try SKF outlet direct.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Anthony Miller

Highwood alfa has complete 6cyl single plate clutch inc flywheel for $760 AUD + postage
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

dehne

hi clutch is back in when pulled out checked the pressure plate all looks good same with throw out bearing looks ok so put it all back with the new clutch plate and the best part is that i have tightened up all th other nuts/bolts and ive gotten rid of the sloppness in the gear level very happy with that, so im now going to buy another clutch plate, ive got the new pressure plate on its way and also getting new throw out just to have a complete spare set ready tp go
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past