G.P. at Albert Park.

Started by colcol, March 29, 2011, 08:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Was anyone else like me massively dissapointed at the G.P., with the Red Bull 'race', It consisted of Retired F-1 driver David Coultard, Friday F-1 driver Daniel Ricardo, V-8 Supercar driver Rick Kelly and Stunt motorbike rider Robby Madison, the way the hype was about this, it was a race not to be missed, and in the stands we all looked forward to it with vigorous discussions on who will take out the race, my money was on Ricko, as he races a sedan type car and he is a good driver and young, imagine ALL of us were pi55ed off when it was a staged race with more stunts than you would see at a wrestling match, shame on you G.P. board for wasting our time with this sort of rubbish, at least with the Toyota Hybrid 'celebrity ' race you know what a crock it is and like me you have a good sleep until somethink interesting is on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

I dont follow what you are on about? The demonstration of speed maybe? I like them!

colcol

You had to have been there, they were driving round like it was a parade, there was no racing, i could have rounded them up and passed them in the 33, like its your turn to lead Ricko, ok, then you can have a go Robby, hard core motorsport fans were not amused at this staged event, they were like parade laps in the Alfa club, except we drive faster, bin it for next year and bring back Appendix J, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brad M

Quote from: Steve S on March 29, 2011, 10:07:37 PM
I dont follow what you are on about? The demonstration of speed maybe? I like them!

The "Red Bull Race Off" had a practice on Thursday, then the "race" on Saturday @Lunch time.

Not really a feature I'd say, as most the drivers all had day jobs to do.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Barry Edmunds

ColCol.
I wasn't there but can appreciate your comments. Most motor sport these days seems to be little more than a passing parade and the only passing involved is the cars passing by the spectator points around the circuit.
Perhaps they should change the name from motor racing to motor parade.
Notwithstanding any limitations imposed by Bernie E, the program put together by AGP Corp for the weekend is hardly likely to attract sufficient numbers to make the event viable and is one of the major reasons why I wouldn't bother going.

aggie57

Actually I really enjoyed the race sitting in front of my TV, my iPad (with live timing 6 seconds ahead of the telly, real time sectors and a bunch more interesting info) and a comfy chair.  Watching the times go up and down due to strategy, position and tyres is great.

Don't worry about those add-on's Colin - they're just there to fill in the weekend.  That's one reason I don't bother going these days. We just watch qualifying and the race itself.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Paul Gulliver

QuoteNotwithstanding any limitations imposed by Bernie E, the program put together by AGP Corp for the weekend is hardly likely to attract sufficient numbers to make the event viable and is one of the major reasons why I wouldn't bother going

Barry,

Sadly i have to agree with you on this one. There is more interesting motor sport at Philip Island the weekend before the GP. I couldn't make it the Sunday, had a look at the  at the program for the Thursday ,Friday,Saturday whilst there where some intersting events they where few and far between . Not enough to justify the cost of admission. I think F1 has nearly got to the point where practise is more interesting than the race
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

B_Conolly

In case anyone hasnt watch this in a while -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc5U6wTfUw

Awesome  :)

Evan Bottcher

A little unrelated perhaps, but awesome video thanks B_Conolly.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

B_Conolly

Apologies. I read the first sentence and immediately thought of that video (before I was born mind you).

Surely F1 can get some of the old boys out in their old cars for some track time at each meet ?. Thats something I would pay to see.

Bret

Evan Bottcher

Actually it is quite relevant I was just being a bit thick.  That would indeed be a great support event.

I went to Albert Park Friday this year, mainly just to see the sideshows and have a few beers - the weather was fine and I enjoyed myself.  Certainly didn't feel like I missed much by not being there for qualifying or the race.  I haven't been on Sunday for years now, much better on the telly.

The 78 AGP wasn't long after I was born...  Sandown looked like an even more dull circuit back then, when did turns 11 and 12 get added?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Evan - the track was considerably changed in the early eighties for the ill-fated sports car races. It was too short in it's original form so they added an infield section and changed other parts. After the sports cars came and went that infield section was discarded (thankfully - it was tight even for club cars and took away the best part of the circuit down from skyline to Dandenong Rd) but the other changes remained.

I can't recall if that was when turn one was also changed but it used to go all the way to the fence and then turn left. More than one car and more than one driver came to grief there so that was one change we can be very grateful for.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

At the Albert Park G.P. the V-8 race was great, no points, because Bernie said no, so to spice it up there was half a million up for grabs as prize money, see the carnage on sunday to prove they were serious, the front running Porcshe Cup drivers were having a go, look at the damage on Michael Patrizi's car, he was driving to the limit, but the staged RED BULL5hit race was the longest commercial for soft drink i have seen for a while, you can bet Reno said to the boys put on a show for the crowd, but any damage to the cars comes out of your retainer, i think it is important to see a Formula one race so you can see the highest form of motorsport, see and smell the cars, sometimes the races are dull, but sometimes it is an absolute cracker, and if Bernie says no then we will have to go overseas to experience Formula one, Colin.

GTV-074

The GP doesn't really do it for me much these days.....

Went every year to Adelaide and had a ball. Since it came to Melbourne it has lost focus. Attended the first 5-6 years at Albert Park (used to buy a
full 4 day ticket) but have really only gone on the Saturday the last few years.

They have "dumbed" it down so much now that I don't know why a "true motoring enthusiast" would bother going. Thursday is a waste, Friday isn't much better and Saturday there is just too little on. If they hadn't enticed the V8 supercars this year the numbers would have been worse!

As someone who used to go for the 'motorsport' side of things they need to revamp it quick smart. I don't want to see celebrity crap, speed demos, bus tours, bike stunts, drag cars, tanks, go karts and all the other "fill ins"they have tried. Just put more races on. Formula Ford, Formula V, Historics, I don't care just fill the schedule with races.

They have to decide whether they want the GP meeting to be a "Motorsport Event" or a "Corporate Event". Unfortunately its plain to see which side they have taken. Numbers will never grow until this is decided.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?