Rusty 156

Started by Genghis, April 19, 2011, 10:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghis

Greetings all.

If I were some rust on a 156  where would be the best place for you to find me?  Translated, what is the most common place that rust might strike a 156 if at all.  Assume the car is regularly parked by the sea.

Cheers

Genghis

Davidm1600

Hard to say as I havn't seen any on mine yet and seriously hope never to do so.   Modern cars are so well protected against corrosion that in theory it should occur. 

However, I would hazard a guess, that perhaps rust could occur in the usual places such as the bottom of the doors if the drainage vents get blocked, bottom of the front guard behind the wheels etc and/or if there has been accident damage and the repairs have compromised the corrosion protection finishes.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Genghis

Thanks DavidM.  That was pretty much what I was thinking as well in addition to perhaps sill panels.

Cheers

Genghis

wankski

the 156 is galvanised, but not fully - just the chassis...

so if you do find it - expect it on any panels... the only thing i would add to above is esp floor pan as carpets can get wet or collect moisture etc...

but yeah, modern painting processes and such mean that i would not expect it on even a 10 yr old car, unless as mentioned it was repaired after damage.... this is never as good as the dipping in electrocharged primer which is blasted off from the body as its prepped for paint.... the electrocharge bond is so strong, the primer stays on everywhere despite being blasted from all sides under water pressure! that is why repair can never be as good..

Genghis

This is what I love about forums like these, aside from meeting new people you also get an education!  :)

Cheers

Genghis