156 Brake Pads

Started by hammer, May 17, 2011, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Looks as though I finally need some new brake pads in the 156 after putting on 53000 km since buying the car. Has anyone found a particular after market pad that works well for reasonably spirited everyday driving in the 156? This one never ventures onto the track but it does get a healthy punt around the twisty roads to the north and south of Brisbane once every few weeks.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Brent

shiny_car

I suppose it depends on your budget. But if you can get some Ferodo DS2500 pads, they are excellent IMO; good bite from cold (ie: suits street cars) and great performance under the pump (ie: fast street cars). (Meant to tolerate track work fine too.) I have them on the front of my 3.2 GT.

Their level below, are DS Performance. I have these on the rear of my GT.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

hammer

Evan Bottcher

I think Maranello Pur Sang still use QFM (queensland friction material) pads for a lot of applications, I think including the 156.  Might be worth checking the prices.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

Have you tried EBC brake pads?, they are a club sponsor and we should do our best to support them, they seem to have many grades and temperature grades by the color of the brake pads, i have seen them for sale on the 156 ebay site and they have a youtube clip about the pads and their features and the prices seem ok too, i haven't tried them myself, but will give them a go when my current pads wear out, and thats another thing about them is that they are made in England, not in some third world country, let us know how you get on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

Regarding EBC, their Greenstuff pads are not that highly regarded. I have used them before, on a TS 156. I had no problems. I think the 'issue' (not really an issue) is that there are better value pads out there, that perform better, for similar money. But they did have minimal brake dust.

The Redstuff pads are meant to be very good though. And quite streetable, I believe. I know a guy with them on his 3.2 GT, and he is very happy with them.

FWIW, I also have Tarox Strada pads on my 155. They work very well too. The car is pretty light, so not that demanding on brakes, but I've never had any fade during brisk drives along the Great Ocean Road. Just that these pads are not readily available in Oz; I bought from overseas.

wankski

am i the only one that likes greenstuff??  ???

not tried on my 156 yet, but had them in the past...

i think they're super value for money - as said, made in UK, which i rate and fronts are like 50 quid... compare this to redstuff around 80 quid...

then ds2500 around 130 quid?? even the rears are close to 100 quid! that is much more expensive than the EBC greens for a complete set for those looking for an oem replacement ( oem ~ 55 quid, Greens ~ 90 quid, Reds ~ 130 quid, DS 2500 ~ 230 quid) all ex shipping, but pads aren't too bulky or heavy.

The greenstuffs for me occupy a happy medium by being better performance than oem and not too much more expensive, so you can't go wrong... I think if you take that approach, you'll be happy...

Neil Choi

I would support Colin's comments.  And others too.

I have used EBC greens in all my road cars and reds in my race cars for a long time, as others I know of too.

Greens are easy to look after and use.

Reds for race, you just have to bed them in nicely then they work.  Go to yellows if it is getting too hot.

I would further encourage the support of our Sponsor RDA-EBC who have supported us for a long time too.

Email me for specific info.

Neil

hammer

EBC Greens it is. Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.

Cheers,

Brent

shiny_car

Quote from: wankski on May 19, 2011, 11:45:00 AM
am i the only one that likes greenstuff??  ???

No, I'm not bagging them. They worked perfectly when I had them, and braked as well as the OE pads, which was all I needed.

Pricewise, no complaints, though they are not a direct comparison with Ferodo DS2500. More a comparison with Ferodo Premier (OE spec) or DS Performance I think.

colcol

Hey Hammer, tell us how you get on with your EBC brake pads and where you purchased them from, on the 156 ebay site, i reckon it is from online performance, i personally prefer soft brake pads, i think the soft standard EBC pads are black in colour as they give good feel, work when cold and are easy on rotors and tell us if they have the wear sensors built into the pads, as some brands don't, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]