need help with alternator for 159

Started by Graham, June 16, 2011, 05:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hi folks,

can anyone advise if there is a after-market alternator available to fit a 159, I have the 2.2 engine.

I am told the only one that can be used needs to be imported at a cost $1,087.00

Grateful for any help.

Graham

Neil Choi

You can probably have the alternator reconditioned if it is out and faulty.  An autoelectrician will do once the mechanic has it out.

This is what I believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Neil

kartone

Had my Bosch 45A reconditioned for $274.-: new brushes, new pressure ring, new diodes and vontage regulator.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Graham

Hi Kartone,

can you advise where you had the work done?

My car is currently with a dealer so will have to think about getting it back.

Cheers,

Graham

colcol

All auto electricians usually charge about the same as it highly competative field, the hardest part will be getting it out, if its like a 156, you need to take long service leave!, just take it to a auto elec, and replace the parts that are faulty, you don't need new housings armatures, windings, etc, just the bits to make it go again, and Alternators have a lot of interchangeable parts, with other makes, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Graham

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, a six hour job to get out and back in. I will try the recondition path as a new one is pretty expensive.

cheers.

colcol

As these 159 engines are GM based, do General Motors drivers put up with a 6 hour labour bill to remove and fit alternator, i can understand it on a 156 as these are Italian engines, and thats the kind of thing you would expect, actually looking at 156's alternator removals, you can remove it from the top by removing the induction system, power steering pump and everything else, but if you have a hoist you can remove it from underneath quicker i would say as there is less things to remove, i removed the alternator the otherday on my 33 in 15 minutes, good to see cars are getting easier to work on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Lonsdale Auto Electrics Pty Ltd
Dandenong South, tel: (03) 9706 5525
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Craig_m67

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that it's six hours to strip and fit an alternator on a 2.2JTS 159.  Ask them what the alfa book (job) time is - you sound like you're being ripped off. If you can take it to an auto electrician and get them to do it, an alternator is an alternator regardless of whether it's in a Kia or a  Lambo.. it's bound to be a standard Bosch unit fitted to the Vectra/Saab/Fiat etc.. like the engine.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)