Where to get an engine for my 1750 GTV

Started by DavidD, June 23, 2011, 09:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidD

Hi Guys, I have purchased a 1971 GTV 1750 recently and knew that the engine was kaput when I bought it. I would really appreciate you input and ideas on the questions I am going to ask. Where would I get a replacement? What would be an approximate cost for the engine and fitting? Do you think I should stick with the 1750 or go with the 2000?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Davidm1600

I have a '69 1750 GTV and after 12 years of faithful service the engine finally died. Now I would have taken the trouble to rebuild but regrettably we could't separate the head from the block as it had welded itself to the studs on the block.  IMHO it is far more desirable to keep the original engine with the car whenever possible in terms of car values.

However, given I couldn't, I had to search around for a replacement. I found a correct spec 1750 engine (out of the same model car as mine), which had been rebuilt, from Milano Spares.  Marc had it shipped to me in Tas for $200, the engine cost,....yes $1000.  A pretty good deal, though this was about 3 years ago. 

So before going down the typical 2L transplant, take a moment and find out the cost of rebuilding your engine, it is worth investigating.  I am going to be doing this with my Giulia Super, for which I have managed to obtain an early 1600. 

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pep105

Hi David,

Follow up the leads as the others have suggested, I would probably stick with a 1750 motor for originality and the fact that the 1750 is a sweet motor, although nothing wrong with a good 2000 it really depends what you want to do with your 105.

If you cant rebuild yours and you need to buy another engine and are going 1750 try and get a similar spec to yours. Im assuming your 1750 is a series 2 (71 model), Series 2 1750 had offset pistons and 10548 cams compared to Series 1, but its not a big deal as new pistons would be offset and cams can be easily sourced. If you go with a 2000 try and get a complete an engine as possible as the flywheel and starter motor are different. 2 litre 105 flywheels are not cheap about $350.

For reference I bought a 2000 engine out of a smashed 74 spider from Milano Spares 2 years ago for my Gt Junior for $1000. It included the flywheel, clutch, starter motor, alternator, inlet and exhaust manifold, and a spare sump (as the sump was damaged) only thing missing were the carbs.

Hope I haven't confused you, good luck and let us know how ya go - 105s are grouse  :)

Cheers

Pep

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

MD

David,

I don't know how much feedback you need to make a decision so I will echo what others have said to fill up the stats for you. Personally I believe that you should always keep an eye on resale.

We all like to have a finger poke at modifying our cars to set them up just as we like them. When it comes to buying one, we all want it to be original ! Don't ask me to explain that mentality as I am a prime culprit.

Stick with the 1750 engine if possible.If you intend to rebuild it from scratch, your costs will vary a lot depending on what needs fixing and it could range from 1.5 to 5 grand. With honest tradesmen, the price will reflect the degree of attention paid to detail and quality of parts used.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dfrye

I have a 1750 engine block with crank. As I recall it had standard main bearings and 10 thou big ends when I pulled it apart (or maybe the other way around) either way - can check. Is just taking up space. Let me know if you want it - its in Sydney. I figure these are not worth much.
//dean