Wanted to Buy; Race Seat and Steering Wheel Extension Hub for Alfa 75

Started by Henry Goodman, June 25, 2011, 12:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Goodman

For the past few months I've been preparing my Alfa 75 T/spark for my first Supersprint event  :). To cut a long story short I've had to endure numerous challenges to bring the car to scratch including an engine change which resulted in missing the first 2 events in the calendar  :(. With all the mechanical dramas sorted, this morning I went to buy my new helmet only to find I can't fit in the car due to lack of headrooom, (factory fitted sunroof)  ???. I'm determined to make the next supersprint round next w/end at Wakefield.

So I thought I'd try my luck with the forum - would anyone have a race seat for sale to fit an Alfa 75 please? I could also use a steering wheel hub extension as the seat needs to be reclined.

I am located in Sydney, northern beaches area.

Kind regards,

Ric. (Henry)
Ph . 0417 741 867.

dehne

for the steering wheel adaptor get one from ur local auto shop and for the seat, does it have a height adjustment, in my 90 it has and what i did was take all that out and just used the rails to mount it, had to cut some other metal rails but the seat is low as possible without having to cut things, and im 6ft1 and i still have about 3 to 4 inches spare in head clearance
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

teambee75

Hi Ric, for a hub spacer I purchased a removable adapter from Peninsula Sports Car Spares (now run by Tilleys) at Brookie.  It sets the wheel out nicely and has the advantage of improving access to the dash & footwell if needed.  Plus it is great security if you don't mind carrying a steering wheel around with you (unless the car thief is carrying a pair of vice-grips to steer with).  Failing that you should be able to pick one up off the net.  Seat may require a bit more mucking around as you will need to think about how you will mount it.  I used some flatbar to mate mine to the original runners to maintain fore & aft adjustment but you can also bolt it in directly with appropriate mounts.  Hope to see you at Wakefield on Saturday.  Let me know if you need to any more info.  Nick H  0402 439 379 

Paul Gulliver

Ric,
Down here in Melbourne the club does a lot of sprints  with the MX5 club. This is a resource that some of the MX5  guys use.

http://www.mx5mania.com.au/product1629.htm

At $495.00 this is a very good entry level seat. You might have to look at adapting your 75 seat rails.

Another option that you might try is :

http://www.autotecnica.com.au/seats.html

I think you can buy these off the net or  Bruno at Maranello Motors ( in Melb see sponsors page can organize them. )

As someone who has only been sprinting for the last 3 - 4  years i would have to say that  a decent seat & harness is one of the best investments you can make. Without them its kind of like sitting in a "wok" trying to go fast. Having said that i wouldn't let not having these pieces of equipment stop you getting started.

Part of the fun is in your first couple of sprints the huge improvements you can make from one meeting to the next, with a bit of gear and a bit of driver improvement. It can be very addictive.

Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Paul Gulliver

Bump

Quotethis morning I went to buy my new helmet only to find I can't fit in the car due to lack of headrooom

Easy fix for this is to fit two 25m spacer/ washers under the front left & right  mounting points of the seat . Raising these by a few mm inclines the seat further back & vastly improves headroom. If this fails , to improve headroom you could consider an alfa spider LOL.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

I have used the Autotechnica seats and used the slider from Alfetta sedan seats to fit the race seat, you just have to drill 4 new holes in the slider (top and lower rails) to fit.  Takes about an hour.

The Alfetta slider is easy because it fits directly into the floor of the car.

Neil

Henry Goodman

Thank you for your prompt responses. It reassuring to get so many helpful repsonses. Help keep the enthusiasm going.
Dehne, my Alfa doesn't have height adjustement (fitted with Recaro interior) so no joy in finding some headroom there. Gully, I tried the 25 mm speacers and ends up I'm actually sitting higher than before. Having tried the former solution, I've spent the better part of the day disassembling the seat and runners and fabricating mounting plates to adapt the seat directly to the fixed mounting brackets in the floor. There was 35 mm of headroom to gain and I actually nearly got it fitted but there was way too much flex on the rear due to the canterlever position of the rear seat mount.
I think the best solution is a purpose race seat with proper bottom fixed mounts, like the Sparco or Tecnica example as highlighted by Nick and Gully.
Nick, I'll probably end up giving you a call and susing out how you fitted your seat and steering wheel hub extension. Thank you for your offer of assistance.
Kind regards,
Ric.