Alfa 90 Differences

Started by sullo, September 27, 2007, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Quote from: Mat Francis on March 19, 2012, 08:08:02 PM
and might take to the track every now and then for fun, not to drive competitively fast in.

you are kidding, right!!!!

I will bet you a coke.

alfagtv58

How would you go about transforming said "seriously flawed car" into "seriously good car"?

Stop working on the 90 and concentrate on the Alfetta instead  ;) ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: alfagtv58 on March 20, 2012, 11:26:01 AM
How would you go about transforming said "seriously flawed car" into "seriously good car"?

Ha!  It's just an Alfetta with a better engine....

Paul Gulliver

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on March 20, 2012, 01:19:33 PM
Matt PM sent

What is this "PM sent" shit? 

For starters, Matt will be well aware of your pm, he'll get it in a notice in an email, or if not he'll be aware of it when he logs in to the site, or if he refreshes his browser, so why do you need to let the world know that you just sent him a personal message?

You just let the world know that you sent Matt a personal message, presumably it is something very important that he must know right now, but you're prepared to let the rest of the world know that this vitally important message was sent to Matt, and him alone.

This is a FORUM.  Look up the word 'forum' if you need any idea of what a forum is.   If you have something to add to the conversation, then add it.  If you have something to add to a certain member, and them only, then send them a PM.  They will get it eventually (if not instantly).

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of this whole 'PM sent' rubbish.  I can almost see the point in a For Sale thread, because some people might want to show publicly that they were the first to show interest, etc.   But otherwise I can't see it as anything other than complete bullshit.

You know I love your work Gully, we've shown mutual admiration whenever we've met.  I'll send you a PM about this post.....

kartone

Paul, 'gran figata' in the context in question means a 'fully sick' dashboard; out of context and in noun form it is used to describe part of the female anatomy.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Neil Choi

Grumpy Sheldon, didn't you take your lithium this morning.

PM sent

alfagtv58

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on March 20, 2012, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: alfagtv58 on March 20, 2012, 11:26:01 AM

But much better looking.

PM sent.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

L4OMEO

Goodness. I could have sworn that if this thread was going to veer off topic it would head in the direction of Dehne's drug-influenced top speed claims. I don't think anyone saw this coming!

Err ... Dehne, mate, how bout I just send you a PM?

;)

PS I'm feeling left out, can someone PM me?
2002 156 GTA

Mat Francis

Hey Neil, at no point did I intend to suggest that this car wasn't going to be thrashed within an inch of it's life! I just meant relative to the other 3L cars circulating, it's not going to be fast (around corners anyway).

In my defense Phil, the 90 is taking up the garage space I need to fix the alfetta, and that aside, the alfetta is going to take a LOT more time, money and effort to be ready to go again than the 90 will.

Public announcement posted.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

I think Sheldon might have PMS.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Beatle

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on March 20, 2012, 12:03:46 PM

B I N G O !!!!!

That's really the answer to the question I never asked (and I'm starting to regret reprisng this thread...... ;)).   I've been thinking of getting another Alfetta, but given the condition and price comparison, I got to thinking about the 90 as maybe, only maybe, a better option.  Plus, I've never owned a 90.

So now I'll ask.  Is it fair, or correct, to consider the 90 (either version) as a 'better Fetta'?  I mean, even considering all the bad stuff discussed prior, you do get a lot of car for the money, and rust is much less of an issue compared to the Alfetta.

Another question, is the 90 better built than the 75?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Paul Bayly on March 20, 2012, 09:17:48 PM
Another question, is the 90 better built than the 75?

Not entirely sure what you mean here, but I don't believe so.  I've never owned a 75, but have driven plenty, and looked at a few race-prepped versions.   Both cars feel very similar, the 90 is a bit quieter with a stock exhaust.  Both interiors degrade at a similar rate.  The added bonus with a 90 is that certain parts are almost impossible to come across, giving it that much needed 'character'.

As regards the question of whether it's a 'better Fetta', this is a tough one to answer.  It's definitely better for rust, and as long as everything is working okay, the fuel-injection, power-steering, and air-con make it a very nice car to live with.  But, obviously, any issues that crop up are a bit more involved to deal with.  The twin-cam in the fetta is a wonderful engine, as you know, but the V6 is something else entirely, but you obviously know that, you've had a 164 haven't you?  Both are pretty much bulletproof, but obviously the V6 needs the belt done every 3 years.  The power-steering on the 90 is absolutely brilliant; parking is easy, and at any speed the feeling is just sensational.  I've read on another forum that a ZF employee reckoned it wasn't bettered until the Ferrari 355, take from that what you will....  But, if you ever need to fix a leaky rack, the engine needs to be jacked up so you can get to the bolts.  The starter motor is in a terrible position (put aside a day if you need to take out and put back in), and etc...

All being equal, I feel the 90 is a better car, but there is definitely a charm to the 'simplicity' of an Alfetta.  Except the last Alfettas (84 was it?), they basically were a 90, but with the twin-cam instead of the V6.  And worse looks.

I actually had a similar thought to you late last year.  I've got a 90 Super slowly fading under a tree in my driveway (no rust yet!!) which later this year I'm going to put a 3 litre into, upgrade suspension and brakes etc to turn into a nice weekend car...., but after working on the Alfetta shitbox for a little while I considered briefly just getting an Alfetta and upgrading that, rather than the 90.  Then I came to my senses and realised that for very little extra effort the 90 will be faster, more comfortable, 97% as good a handler, and rarer (they only made 1000 RHD V6 Supers).

Beatle

OK,

Having taken all the information in this thread into consideration, and discounting the majority of it, today I put a deposit down on one of the worst, and ugliest Alfa's ever produced.  A 1985 Alfa 90 GCL.  To add insult, I've bought it sight-unseen (as I did with the GTV6, Duetto, Giulia and 164...... :o)

I just couldn't pass it up for condition Vs price and it seemed like a good opportunity to get back into an Alfa (it's been a couple of years now)

Now to pay my AROCA re-joining fee, amend my signature and avatar, and get ready for Auto Italia  ;D.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

dehne

hi paul
which one did you end up buying, where is it from, colour, ect, is it the red ebay one
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's