Afla 166 parts & re-bushing advice

Started by fognozzle, September 10, 2011, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fognozzle

My Alfa 166, which I love and which is probably the best car I have owned, has come back from a service with a number of expensive items.

Can anyone direct me to alternative sources for the following:

Fuel level sensor priced at $450 ex Italy

Right hand front and left hand rear control arms priced at $1050 per side, ex Italy

Rear sway bar bushes and link, priced at $650 ex Italy

With this car I am comfortable with putting up without it for a week or so, while I do the dismantling and re-assembly if I could get the arms re-bushed, and a fuel sensor to fit, but I don't know where to go for these.

Also, I got a "service manual" CD from England via eBay but it doesn't run on any of our computers. Can anyone offer any advice on this, as it would be nice to have some pictures and info on how to dismantle?

Thanks

Foggy

bix

Hi fognozzle,
Whilst I love supporting our local small business, I can recommend having a peek at EBSpares who have 166 spares http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa166/suspension_alfa166.cfm.
If they don't have the part listed on the website, they will generally be able to get it in on request.
Regarding the service manual, are you trying to install it on a Windows 7 machine (or worse - a Mac)? My 156 manual works on an WinXP machine but not on Win7.

colcol

Hi Frognozzle, the $450 fuel gauge sender would be the genuine brand new article, sourced locally, try a few local wreckers such as Monza Motors, for a good second hand one as you don't need a new one, just one that works, ALWAYS get alternative qoutes, for parts, whether in Australia, or overseas, as if you are too dear, you go broke, thats how the world operates now, as with suspension arms, it is sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new arm, rather than muck around relaceing bushes, look at 147's and 156's, the arms are just replaced without a second thought, as for computers, my cd 156 manual works on Windows XP,[ i think thats what mine is], and i have a program called Gadwin screen capture, so i bring the repair up on screen and press PrtScr and it prints out the page, i have found this much better than carrying the computer downstairs out to the garage, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]