Re-Fitting the original seats

Started by RSR1750, October 03, 2011, 09:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSR1750

Good Morning All,

This is my first post after being without an Alfa for the last 8 years, but I have recently got back into a 1750 S1 and I feel alive again.
The gentleman I bought the car from was in Sydney and had fitted a pair of RECARO's in the front and with great forethought kept the original Zagato seats wrapped in plastic and boxed up for 16 years.  Now back in Melbourne and safely through the RWC without any trouble I begin the process of bringing her back to her original glory.

First step is to reinstate the original seats.  Easy I thought, but the threaded holes on the floor do not match the brackets on the seats.  They match in terms of front to back spacing, and the front two left and right match but the two rear holes are approx 45cm apart whereas the seat brackets are 39.5cm apart.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here?  I have a schematic drawing of the seats and all parts and they appear to simply bolt straight to the floor.  Am I missing a part?  The last thing I want to do is punch another hole in the floor.

Evan Bottcher

I noticed an interesting thing about the RHD 1750, which may or may not help.  The tunnel is offset to one side, and on the wider passenger side there are two sets of holes for the left hand rail.  The holes closest to the LH sill are unused.

Here's a picture of my floor, completely bare (looking towards the rear of the car):

A previous repair had removed the reinforcement for the LH rear mounting point, so Sam rebuilt this.  Shown in this picture.

So I wondered if the problem you describe is just in the passenger side?

You describe the seats as Zagato seats.  I've not heard that before - were they manufactured by Zagato?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

P.S.  Please, post some photos of your car!  ;D
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

RSR1750

Thanks Evan,

After mucking around with the passanger seat for ages, I gave up and just put it in on the 3 bolt holoes and I have fitted a spacer for the 4th and will do it properly when i take it in for a service.
The driver side went straight in with the same holes........  It's a bit of a mystery as to why the rear left bolt hole just isnt there.

Gary Pearce

I have seen the LH rear seat mount hole missing before and just believed that it was due to the floor pan being replaced. Yep they are all wider on the LH side of the cabin, to make way for large Italian drivers. Should be an easier fix with some spacers and a sharp drill.
I always thought of Zagato seats as being the minimalistic type usually fitted to 750/101 SZ's and later found in Giulia Super-Ti models.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

RSR1750

I have always refered to them as Zagato seats because I thought they were designed by Zagato?  Here is where everyone will tell me just how wrong I have been, right???

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Gary Pearce on October 04, 2011, 04:13:15 PM
I have seen the LH rear seat mount hole missing before and just believed that it was due to the floor pan being replaced.

Yep that's what we decided too.  The original reinforcement extends to the edge of the sill.

Quote from: RSR1750 on October 04, 2011, 05:21:03 PM
I have always refered to them as Zagato seats because I thought they were designed by Zagato? 

I'm intrigued now :-)

I've seen zagato seats on earlier cars - also with the 'flying buttresses' but quite a different seat on a tubular frame.
Example here: http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/15-Alfa%20Romeo-1900%20SS-4-CylinderDOCH

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV