Speedo repair

Started by RSR1750, October 05, 2011, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSR1750

Good Morning All,

Can anyone help me with someone who is able to repair the speedo on my 1750.  I'm not sure if it's the speedo its self or the cable, or the gear box componant?  There is a whuring sound when I'm driving which leads me to believe the cable is spinning but I'm not sure and not keen to pull it out myself.

AikenDrum105

Edit:  I just re-read and realised you were asking for help with someone to repair the speedo, rather than a 'where to start'    Apologies.

Any of the Forum sponsors are a really good place to start - are there any close to you ?  here: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/content/view/20/33/

The drive cables often snap or the square edges at the ends burr over - they run from the back of the speedo (obviously :) )   through the firewall, then down the back of the engine bay and under the car where they connect in the side of the gearbox at the back (where it connects to the driveshaft.)  The Tacho cable runs along the engine bay and screws into the side of the water pump on the front  of the engine.

They can usually be unscrewed at both ends by hand (or with gentle persuasion with some pliers / vice-grips on the one under the car that gets clogged up with gunk)  - theres a knurled or grooved aluminium ring that you unscrew to pull the cable free.  

Sometimes the outer sheath loses it's plastic coating near the exhaust headers or under the car - the remaining metal spring sheath stretches a little and the cable inside is no longer long enough to engage in the back of the speedo properly.  

Often at the gearbox end the sheath works loose from the alloy housing at the end of the cable and just pops out - it's a rough place down there ..

If you can hear a whirring / clicking noise in he car - it's most likely that it's either snapped / burred over  or the drive cable has pulled *just* out of contact with the square drive in the back of the speedo.  It could just have worked loose too :)  If it's just out of contact - you can often give the cable a good wiggle - tie it back at a different angle with a cable tie under the dash - and you'll find it comes good.  This is good for noisy ones that still work too - try and get the minimum of tight bends etc.

I haven't personally seen a speedo / tacho fail internally - but I'm sure they do.   You can mix / match the tacho and speedo cables to test either instrument / cable if that helps - I think the two cables are exactly the same length on the RHD 105s.

They're not expensive - Alfaholics etc sell them for less than 20 UKP I think,  you can often get new or  reasonable second hand ones from places like Monza or Milanos.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV