Power steering fluid leak

Started by Jarryd, January 16, 2012, 08:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarryd

Hey guys I have a power steering fluid leak and its pretty steady
its coming from the alloy pipe that passes the tansmission it has worm through on my alfa 156

just wondering if the whole pipe needs to be replaced or if the pipe can be cut and put rubber hose to join then with clamps on the end is sufficient??

colcol

If you are mechanically competant, go to a Alfa Romeo wrecker and get a good second hand pipe that hasn't worn thru, the pipes for 147's should be the same, the metal pipes are the high pressure ones, the rubber ones are usually the low pressure scavenge, use a rubber hose joiner\repairer as temporary only, also have a look on the 147 and 156 ebay sites as they usually sell power steering racks and pumps second hand, unless the metal pipes get damaged or vibrate and rub on something, they should last at least 20 years, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

I experience a similar issue where the pipe was rubbing against the gearbox and low-and-behold burst. My wife claimed it was caused by a cheezel box she ran over on the road  :D
I fitted a second hand item sourced from the wreckers. When you install it, just bend it back a little so that it doesn't touch the gearbox housing and all should be schweet.

colcol

Or put a rubber sleeved metal clamp around the pipe and fix it to a bolt or nut, failing that, bend the pipe away carefully and put a piece of rubber around the pipe and hold the rubber there with zip ties, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]