Restoring a Momo Leather Wheel

Started by Sam, January 31, 2012, 10:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi

I have a Leather steering wheel from an old Alfetta Sportiva that I want to get recovered / restored.
I did some searching on the forums and found a topic on how to DIY.

I really want a professional job and I'm not sure I could do it to the standard I want  so my first preference to get a professional to do it.

Does anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where I can get this done?

Thanks in advance
Sam

alfagtv58

Sam,

Hugh Harrison has a guy he uses who does a great job, he recovered my Gilles Villeneuve signature Momo a few years back and still looks good.  Cost was about the same as a new Momo, but those old ones look great.  From memory his name was Sam, but I'm not sure if your name has swayed my memory  ::)

I have some photos, but not on my phone...will try to post them tomorrow for you.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Victor Lee

I'm keen on finding out as well!  Look forward to seeing your pics Phil.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

alfagtv58

Hmmm, seems I dont have an 'after' pic, only 'before' shots which can be seen here http://www.monzamotors.biz/pages/groups.htm

I'll try to get a shot of it, but my car is stored elsewhere at the moment so it may take a few days.  I need to get the 'signature' re-done on mine, anyone have any idea for getting that back to its former glory?  I do have a photo that someone sent to me of what it should look like.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

If you were prepared to send it over the ditch to Tassie, I know someone who could do it for you and produce a quality job at a fair price.  He recovered my Giulia Super original Nardi wheel for me a couple of years back for approx $120.  

The guy I use to do all the trimming for my cars is Mike and Ronnie (his wife) Thomas, located at Dilston in the Tamar Valley, just north of Launceston.  Mike is a UK trained and experienced coach trimmer. His work portfolio is superb.

Hopefully, I have attached properly a picture of the Nardi he recovered for me (ah I note it did).  PM if you want his contact details.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Anthony Miller

Hugh might have one in good condition second hand, I managed to find an oem leather wheel for my 3.0l 75 in excellent nic, you never know your luck
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Sam

Hi everyone,
thanks fro your help

I bought an old Momo Prototipo from ebay for 35 bucks in very good condition.
I'm using that so I can take my time getting the original Sportiva Wheel recovered.
I spoke to Hugh and I'm going to see what the people he uses are like.
If that fails, I'll PM Davidm1750 for his contact in Tassie

Again  ....

thanks for all your help

Sam

Davidm1600

$35 for a Momo Prototipo is a really excellent deal.  I have 3 of these wheels, they are great so well done.

Hopefully Hughes contact comes up trumps, otherwise please feel free to PM me.  Cheers
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina