1998 GTV engine choices

Started by prova, March 07, 2012, 10:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prova

Hi Guys

Have found a 1998 GTV 2.0 with a manual gearbox that has a knackered engine. Just wanting to know which other models could offer up a second hand replacement motor? 156, 147, etc? Could anyone give me a rough idea on typical prices or availability of second hand engines of this type. Also would engines from Selespeed models be okay to uses?

Thanks very much

Ren

Ren

wankski

i'm not completely au fait with the twinsparks but i should imagine that the answer to all those questions is 'yes' with the proviso that you match the years as things like variable manifold and iacv etc varied thru the years... you'll def need to go w/ the same cf version, which being a 98 should be cf1 but could be a 2 i guess... easiest way to tell: if alloy cover = cf1, if plastic cf2...

your best bet if retaining the stock ecu is to strip your current engine bare and swap over all sensors and anciliaries. use the block and head, build it back up with what you have...that would be best IMHO...

you would also be mad to go to the effort w/ a twinspark without cracking it open, inspect the big ends and replace the headgasket... just do it. new timing belt and variator while it's out of the engine bay.... balance belt is optional. full new kit or leave it off. with the head off inspect valves and surface skim the head... replace... it's not that much more work over a belt change... while it's out it's all easy and accessible!

generally twinnies are plentiful and cheap. You can even get em off ebay through a vendor called 'alfawrecker' - circa $1.5k...

try these guys:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-147-156-2-0L-TWIN-SPARK-ENGINE-LOW-KM-TESTED-NATIONAL-WARRANTY-/200712270158?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebb62314e
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/99-02-ALFA-ROMEO-156-ENGINE-2-0L-TWIN-SPARK-/280823980620?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416269e24c
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-147-156-SPIDER-2-0-TWIN-SPARK-ENGINE-EXC-/150404739419?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2304d2315b

bix

note that you would want to avoid cf3 motors which have the same plastic cover as the cf2 but Euro 3 emission sensors all over the place and an electronic throttle. A good site showing the differences is here: http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_romeo_cf.shtml.

prova

Thanks heaps guys - really useful information. Appreciate all your time, thoughts and effort. Will let you know if I get hold of the car. Mostly had 60's and 70's FIATs and a couple of 80's Alfas. Had never really considered anything this 'modern' before but the more I think about the more interested i'm becoming.

Will let you know how I get on with the car in mind - just got to get the price right.

Thanks again

Ren

ANG156

My 1999 selespeed 156 is a cf2 but with a fly by wire throttle. I think anyway...

Engines go from $1000 upwards depending on condition. PM me and i can help you out with a cf2 motor approx 130,000 kms

prova

Thanks heaps again for the advice and info - car was sold on Ebay to a higher bidder! Car was in Kyabram and sold for $1750 with a dead motor. No rego, 200,00km, engine duff, other possible RWC issues and transport costs - just didn't seem to add up with the asking price. On the look out for another.

Ren

wankski

nope... i let a $1750 broke v6 go... (auto) but the engine wasn't done, just rad and coolant...which took out the HG, but simple enuff job to fix...

ANG156

bix

Quote from: ANG156 on March 08, 2012, 01:12:30 PM
My 1999 selespeed 156 is a cf2 but with a fly by wire throttle. I think anyway...

My 2000 Manual 156 is CF2 with cable throttle.

wankski

sorry I should have said 156 v6....   cf2 as per the link is cable throttle ...

Davidm1600

I think Al, Wanaski was referring to a 156 or 147 GTA or a GT (but I doubt the last two).  To the best of my knowledge all modern (late 90s GTV6) were only manuals.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina