Alfa 156 door lock issue

Started by trippytipo, March 20, 2012, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippytipo

Greetings Gentlemen,

The driver's side door lock on my Alfa 156 seems to have a mind of its own - it doesn't work the central locking sometimes and I have to open the doors via the passenger side lock. Also when I try and close the door whilst seated inside, it doesn't close until I push the lock down to engage/disengage it. I've heard that WD-40 can help, but where do I spray it and do I need to open up the internals of the driver's side door to do this?

Thank you for your help, my Alfa seems to be exhibiting every known issue known to the marque! A "good example" right there.  ;D

2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5 Monza

"There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions."
- Sir Francis Bacon

colcol

Ok Trippy, if you are handy with tools and have a lot of patience, then pull your door trim off, carefully, then remove the spray shield, plastic or material to keep water off the door trims, have a good look at all the mechanics of the locks, solenoids, latches, keepers pushrods, pullrods, levers, etc and see what isn't working properly, i have found it is usually a broken wire, poor connection on a plug, a seized up joint, latch come loose, pushrod bent, just play it by ear, and fix it one thing at a time, lubricate things with silicone spray or dry lube, don't use grease or oil or WD40, as this tends to attrack dirt, accelerating wear, even try it all with your door shut and then open, sometimes when the door sags, it puts pressure on the lock stopping it working properly, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

trippytipo

Thanks Colin, seems like a little too much work for someone with too little experience or time!  :(

I'll leave it to my trusted lord mechanic. Cheers for the heads-up on the WD-40.

2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5 Monza

"There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions."
- Sir Francis Bacon

colcol

Its reasonably easy to fix, i have almost fixed the central locking on the 33, the 156 works perfect, BUT you need plenty of time to dissassemble, clean, fix and put back together, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]