Fairfax article about car clubs :-|

Started by Evan Bottcher, May 23, 2012, 10:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

I read this article in the Drive last weekend:
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/politics-and-petrol-20120518-1yu53.html

QuoteCar clubs grind some people's gears but, for others, are the driving force in their life.

It doesn't take much for it all to end in tears.

A disagreement over the authenticity of a bonnet badge is sometimes all it will take. Or a difference of opinion over what, exactly, constitutes a genuine spoiler, air scoop, head gasket or car-seat cover. Failing that, a derogatory online rant about the shortcomings of the latest president and his mother will probably also do the trick.

Welcome to the world of acrimony and aggro, car-club style.

I don't normally take much notice of the 'journalism' in the Drive section of The Age, but this drivel just pissed me off majorly.  The first half of the article (which is all that most muppets read, if they get that far) just pushes an agenda that car clubs are political, unfriendly, and full of in-fighting.  It annoys me that it'll make the average car enthusiast justify not joining or contributing to a car club.

I won't pretend the Alfa club is without a bit of politics.  Not everyone gets along 100%.  But that's a very minor impact on the enjoyment most of us getting out of being a member and participating in the events, both social and competition, that the club organises.  Most of us have friends that we never would have met if it wasn't for the club.   Most of us have done things with the club that we never would have had the opportunity to do if we weren't part of an organised club.  Is that worth having to ignore a little bit of politics?

Annoyed, in Brunswick.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

1750GT

Totally agree Evan I think the Alfa club is certainly a well grounded club (no doubt partly due to your good work as a former president as well). I am not sure what agenda the article is running but I have to say that it all depends on the agenda being run. If your part of a club to be "rewarded" for the membership then thats not waht a club is about. its all about all the memebers giving a bit of themselves and together we all enjoy the experience.

I have mates who are members of the Fiat club and whilst I don't want to throw stones it would seem that  a number of members are in the club more to promote their businesses than the club itself, that just someones opinion, but this sort of thing can create some tension. There again the Fiat club does organise some great events and of course we (alfa club) do often co-join with them in events.

I have been a member of the Alfa club for only six or so years and have been to some wonderful events. Unfortunately I havn't been able to do quite as much with the club as I'd like due to work committments but I hope to do more as I do enjoy meeting new people and doing events with people with similar interests and after all amoungst all of the little niggles (if there are any) thats what its all about.

1750GT

Stuart Thomson

Fair enough having an online rant about my shortcomings, I have plenty.  If you need me to start a topic I can point out the most obvious.

But I draw the line at have a go at Mum!

I haven't read the article in question, but you're right Evan, the standard of journalism these days is appalling.

Cheers
Stuart

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: 1750GT on May 23, 2012, 10:39:28 PM
...Alfa club is certainly a well grounded club (no doubt partly due to your good work as a former president as well).

Was I the president?  Must have been a great year, because I don't remember it.  Viva el Presidente!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

wankski

i wouldn't get too annoyed at broad generalisations... especially from the aussie media..

alfas are unreliable rustbuckets.

Sheldon McIntosh

I did love this bit though......

QuoteAnother insider agrees. He believes that, while many car clubs start out with the right aims, things can get out of hand as a group grows and more personalities are attracted.

"The problem with car clubs, or any clubs for that matter, is that the dickheads seek out positions of power to make themselves feel important," he says.

"They love all that petty paper-pushing bullshit and most can quote the club constitution verbatim. Generally you'll end up with a good club president, because the most popular or likeable guy will win. But the positions like treasurer and secretary are usually uncontested - one person will stick their hand up - and will typically be filled by those who want to feel important."

After spending around 5 years on the committee, and seeing many office-holders come and go, all I can say to that is.....'no comment'.

But, as Evan says, most of the bullshit that goes on behind closed doors has no impact on the membership as a whole.  Joining the Alfa Club Vic has been one of the best decisions of my life.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I agree.
Everyone buy Hewlett-Packard products please.  From myself, preferably.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

1750GT

Err got the el presedente thing all wrong!! Ghee marco I thought there was something sus about your real reasons for being in the club.

1750GT

colcol

Joined AROCA in 1987, couldn't beleive the number of good people there, question?, ever known someone that was on the same wave length as you, and got on really well carwise?, well thats how i found the Alfa club, sure we have had a few blues and differences, [just like at work or in your family], and if you don't like someone on commitee, just don't vote for them, [just like in politics], i have made many lifelong freinds, have not read the AGE liftout yet, too scared it will be full of rubbish, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Frank Musco

Yeah, Fair enough. A bit negative.

I've had my drivers license for around 20 years and always associated with car clubs, and will continue for the rest of my life. During the past few years I have also had some of the best times of my life at AROCA, and met people as messed up as I am! Prior to AROCA I was in car clubs because I'm the type of person who built cars for fun, and then drove them somewhere, slowly, had tea and scones, then drove home, like my old Black, 1952, side valve, split screen, Morris Minor, yes thats right...no comments please, it was painfully slow! Then one day someone told me that if I joined a cams affiliated club, I could then do a thing called Sprinting? So always having an Alfa around, the choice was obvious.
    So I've learned you just have to find the club that has like minded people, and the rest is history.

Forza Alfasud!  ;D

EZEE

My advice is to generally ignore the mainstream media. What a bag full of rubbish.......

I am a member of AROCA NSW and have met many great people, some whom have become friends, done some great things and been to great places ........I ignore what I don't like, no one is ever going to get on with everyone in a group full of strangers no matter where/who you are. Time will always dictate how much one can contribute, in my case anyway. So involvement ebbs and flows at times yet the membership is important all the time.  

The interaction I have had with some of you guys down in Melbourne (actually this forum in general, so you could be anywhere) has all been fairly positive yet we are total strangers to begin with; in my case some have become friends over time.

I came to the concorso last year and was welcomed. How cool is that?

And over what?...... a mutual admiration of ALFAs.....simple really. Some people make life too complicated.

Emmanuel (after a few glasses of red after a hard week  :) )