2nd Series 156 in GTA Spec?

Started by Gotta B Red, June 26, 2012, 11:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

Continuing Aggie's side comment:  That will be at Easter 1999 and club member Adrian Huntley would've been one of the (lucky) first, if not THE first Victorian to receive the keys of his 156. 

We were all scheduled to go to the annual Alfesta at Batesman Bay NSW and the local dealer delivered the car on the Thursday before Easter so as he could drive it there.  Needless to say, it was the centre of attention at Alfesta as no-one at that time had ever seen a 156 in the flesh previously.

I reckon that car did lotsa km's giving interested members rides around the block!
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Gotta B Red

Thanks Everyone,
I thought the 147 and $$$$ may have played a role, and having three different bodies with their various appeal to slightly varying sectors of the market is perhaps taking model diversity a little far, given they all share the same powerplant and Go factor!

Could perhaps, a less confusing name(s) for the two distinctly different (visually) models of 156 be 'De Silva' for the early model and 'Guigiaro' for the later model as opposed to facelift #1 or facelift #2. Just an idea!
The latter method does sound a trifle dull and bland, not colourful and very un-Italian, quite matter of fact and perhaps more in keeping with the nomenclature ascribed on the other side of the alps.

Hail to the perspicacity and clairvoyance of some contributors, where do I get one of those crystal balls?
You seem to have picked right where I was going with this thread,obviously it's been done before.
Cheers,
Andy

Neil Choi

Quote from: Victor Lee on June 27, 2012, 08:33:50 AM
Continuing Aggie's side comment:  That will be at Easter 1999 and club member Adrian Huntley would've been one of the (lucky) first, if not THE first Victorian to receive the keys of his 156. 

Just continuing that sidetrack for a little longer, sorry, still see that silver 156 in the Brunswick area driven by a lady, same plates hence I notice, I think it goes to Maranello for servicing.

aggie57

Quote from: Gotta B Red on June 27, 2012, 09:28:23 AM
Thanks Everyone,
I thought the 147 and $$$$ may have played a role, and having three different bodies with their various appeal to slightly varying sectors of the market is perhaps taking model diversity a little far, given they all share the same powerplant and Go factor!

Could perhaps, a less confusing name(s) for the two distinctly different (visually) models of 156 be 'De Silva' for the early model and 'Guigiaro' for the later model as opposed to facelift #1 or facelift #2. Just an idea!
The latter method does sound a trifle dull and bland, not colourful and very un-Italian, quite matter of fact and perhaps more in keeping with the nomenclature ascribed on the other side of the alps.

Hail to the perspicacity and clairvoyance of some contributors, where do I get one of those crystal balls?
You seem to have picked right where I was going with this thread,obviously it's been done before.
Cheers,
Andy

Reckon they're all "just" 156's Andy.  Sorry....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

I prefer series 1, 1997-2002, series 2, 2002-2004, and series 3, 2004-2006, but De Silva series and Guigarro series has a nice ring to it, especially when you explain to someone, and you put on an accent, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

Cheers,
Andy

yes it has... damon of LD got himself a 4cyl giugiaro 156 wagon, and plumbed in the GTA drivetrain... very nice! def unique in AUS.

there is a 3.7 GTA floating around for about 4-5k atm too...

just sayin'  ;)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: wankski on June 27, 2012, 11:45:45 PM
yes it has... damon of LD got himself a 4cyl giugiaro 156 wagon, and plumbed in the GTA drivetrain... very nice! def unique in AUS.

Did he?  I thought that was just a 2.5 V6 manual?  I could be wrong, I may have been was drunk when he was telling me about it.

aggie57

Cheers,
Andy

there is a 3.7 GTA floating around for about 4-5k atm too...

just sayin'  ;)

Nice work Damon!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Paul Newby

Quote from: colcol on June 26, 2012, 09:25:02 PM
I heard a story that all the 156 GTA's were brought in on the same ship, and 2 were written off after the ships hold blew a pipe in the hold and the 2 cars were steam damaged, and ATECO people removed the 2 compliance plates, so they couln't be sold, as they couldn't be fixed and have a warranty, so the 2 cars were used as race cars, i have not seen any Guigarro 2005 on GTA's in Australia, but i beleive 1 could be made if you had nothing better to do, the 156 GTA's have the improved aircon vents and climate control, centre dash information display, painted mirrors and color coded bumpers deleting the black rubber strip on the front and rear bars, they also got the radio controls on the steering wheel off the 147, the prices of used GTA's has to be bargain of the year, and they have a proper Alfa Romeo motor, Colin.

That is correct regarding the two non-compliance "race" 156 GTAs.

These GTAs were sold to AROCA NSW members David Capraro and Andrew Leithhead as race cars, never to be registered. Capraro's red example raced at the Bathurst 3 hours and has had several owners. I think someone on this forum recemtly enquired about the provenance of this car. Leithhead's grey example raced (and crashed) in the Bathurst 12 Hour. I believe that he still owns the car.

Another AROCA NSW past president and now CAMS head honcho Andrew Papadopoulous was advertising his one owner charcoal 156 GTA on the club website recently. I think he was asking mid $20Ks.

1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Davidm1600

Ok here a few observations and questions re 156s. Firstly I am only aware of 2 156 GTAs in Hobart and possibly ditto for 147 GTAs. Definitely no 156 GTAS sport wagons. As a JTS sport wagon owner I must say how overall impressed I am with its practicality. So the questions are does anyone know how many wagons were imported to Aus. My impression is that they are comparatively less common to the sedan. Next question, is just how good a car is the 156 GTA in comparison to say a 147 GTA? Also where does the V6 156 sedan fit in, in the equation and say ditto the GT. I have to admit I like the idea of a GTA sport wagon but am happy to continue to enjoy my JTS model.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

wankski

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on June 27, 2012, 11:50:58 PM

Did he?  I thought that was just a 2.5 V6 manual?  I could be wrong, I may have been was drunk when he was telling me about it.

dang. i is a muppet. was actually a v6 q-system he plumbed in...

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4793

my bad... guess the gta swap is still very possible tho..