In -car video cameras

Started by MD, July 18, 2012, 06:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Who's got a budget video camera installed in the rocket and you are happy with the sound and image quality.?

What model is it?

How much moola ?

Any test reports about it anywhere?

I wanna stick one in the Cab and record all my dumb ass moves.. :D

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paul Gulliver

MD,

If the budget stretches to about $100.00 ( more if you don't want the uber cool pink model)  for the camera & about $10.00 for some aluminum pieces here's the deal for you.

Camera & Review   Kodak Zi6 From Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kodak+zi6&sprefix=kodak+Zi6%2Caps%2C721

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC4wrGfrSLQ

Alfetta mounting system ( this is the first version & video from about 2 years ago).  In essence mounting it off the transmission tunnel using the seat belt anchor points and another stay to the rear parcel shelf triangulates the mounting & means no extra holes and very little vibration. I have also improved securing it in the cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDU-Ry7RoQ&feature=channel&list=UL  

Here's a sample of my stunt drivng and other idiot moves in the wet with no wipers  from Philip Island a couple of weekends ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcmR2OvCiCQ&feature=channel&list=UL

Hope this helps .

Cheers

Gully

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

alfagtv58

I had the Kodak, it lasted about 1 1/2 events before the vibration killed it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Gulliver

Phil,
Thats probably the first bad report i have hear on the Zi6 . Mine hasn't missed a beat in 2 years . I have got my $100.00 worth . I also forgot you group S guys & MD have a cage to mount  a lot of different camera angles are possible.

I think Mick Aarons had a new Go Pro in his car for Philip Island a couple of weeeks ago.  
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

MD,
I had some experience and spend $$$ on in-car cameras over the years, was one of the first with a camcorder in-car capturing my first and only crash at Calder many years ago.  Lost the vision now.  It was funny afterwards.
Anyway, as Gully and Phil have recommended Zi6 or not, (I bought a couple as well), in a way it is okay for vision but I could never get the sound right, so watching the vision without the proper sound (muffled) was excruciating.  So I gave that up.  Capturing your hero moments is priceless!!!

I used another cheap ($150) SD camcorder, it was good vision but battery life was terrible and lost a lot of vision because the battery would die mid way on track and unusable without recharge, sound was good.  The trouble was having to unbelt, twist around to switch it on, make sure it is on, belting up again, etc etc.  All that got too much for me with my hypertension increasing.

Bought a RadCam, you can research it easily.  I have had great success with it, no problems, and the vision and angle are great.  You can be all belted up, helmet on, gloves on, calm, reach by your side, switch the box on and away you go.  You can hardwire the camera for constant power.  4G SD card last over 1 hr.  The recorder box by your side shows you that it is recording and the vision and angle you get.  Pricey at $500 odd, but the vision is priceless.

Go-Pro is the other way to go but you still have to reach around to switch on, but I think there are now accessories such as a remote and a viewer to show you the vision and angle.  Probably $500 odd all up with bits and pieces

Also there is the Contour GPS camera too.  Compact and bluetooth to iPhone to show you the vision and angle, can't be hardwired so needs battery charged or changed regularly.  Not much experience with this.

The nice thing about dedicated in-car cameras and Go-Pro is the wide angle, 170 degrees you get.  Standard camera's are too narrow in angle.

Also the roll cage mounts are great and easy to use, on and off and adjusted in a minute to save time and effort.

These are my thoughts and experiences, not claiming to know anything of course.  Probably would have bought a Go-Pro as it can be used for other sports and things ie cycling or time lapsed recording.

If you have a data logger, you can match vision to data using DASHWARE software ($50).

Neil

MD

Thanks guys for your tips. Happy to receive some more if they are out there.

Gully. Appreciate you chiming in first up. Looked up all your links and stuff. Seems Kodak is going out of business and so the investment in this item is risky.
BTW mate, I am sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at my recent event with the Alpine Chapter. Was looking forward to some racing banter.

Neil. All good advice but I am too much of a tight arse to spend $500 so I need to hunt down something much cheaper.

Phil. I know what you mean. I have experimented with a budget camera and yes the photos were good, the price was good. The sound was crap and it would shut down anytime it liked (usually just after leaving pit lane !!!!)

Here's a camera that I have tracked down that seems to fit the bill :-

Price is ok
The view angle is good without too narrow or too wide.
Battery life is good
Upgradable SD card
Remote monitor and microphone possible.
Remote Stop/Start button (great if the camera is located behind the driver and you can turn it on once rolling)
It's HD 1080
I think you could even send pics back to the pits (with more gizmos)

What do you think guys ? Anyone actually got one of these? Comments?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251100215717?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfagtv58

Looks good MD, I am always wary buying electrical equip from OS, would it work on our voltage?  I assume you cant get it with an Aussie plug and would need to buy an adaptor to suit our GPO's?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Damn, wish I looked harder, good price, had seen others similar and price-wise too.  Same style as Radcam, probably from same China factory with just different bits and pieces.  The only thing as you have mentioned is the angle is 135 degrees which is ok.

You can plug power into camera by the looks of it which is good.

You will be happy with it. 

Neil

MD

Neil

I like the idea that you can place the camera for best viewpoint in the car. You can then install the "monitor" so you can keep an eye on it like a gauge. It has a tripod mount at its base which would come in handy for mounting. Finally, you can place the stop or start button next to your kill switch if you want and turn the sucker on and off whilst you are buckled in.

I think it is also possible to fit an external microphone if the internal one is a bit shitty, insensitive, or over sensitive etc. After all, the Alfa engine music is half the entertainment so that's gotta be right !!

Phil

I assume that for Oz clients, a plug converter would be supplied. Failing that, I am confident a converter could be sourced from Jaycar or indeed off the net somewhere.

There are a few other alternatives I am looking at that are essentially two cameras in one. I am thinking you could position one lens looking back and one looking forward. I have yet to find out if they will record simultaneously. I need to do some more homework.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paul Gulliver

MD,

Looks good , but didn't notice any editing software. Some of the other camera's come with it.

Gully 
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

MD

Yeah Gully, I already have an editing suite so that's not an issue. When I get half a chance, I will put up a short movie from Queensland Raceway with the Cab undergoing its initial testing. I used a simple little camera called an Otek DVS 550 HD 720 but as I said earlier, it was eratic in continuous shooting mode but the video quality was reasonable for around $100.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Neil Choi on July 18, 2012, 11:18:09 PM
I had some experience and spend $$$ on in-car cameras over the years, was one of the first with a camcorder in-car capturing my first and only crash at Calder many years ago.  Lost the vision now.

How.... inconvenient....

;D ;D

Quote from: MD on July 19, 2012, 08:41:50 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251100215717?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Now that looks interesting... Getting very sick of recording videos twice as long as they need to be (or dislocating both shoulders trying to turn it on in pit lane and then strap in before going out).  I'd been thinking about trying to crack open the case on my cheap POS and wire in a remote record button.  At that price I don't know that I can be bothered, also solves the minor, but annoying issue that my camera seems to have a loose microphone in it, and records all kinds of background digital crackling (and also records at very low volume  ???).  Plus it seems easier to mount in alternative places... Hmmm...

MD

Just got a reply from the vendor to advise that the battery charger for Australian customers will be supplied with a 240 volt , 50 Hz compliant charger and plug so that sorts out our previous quandary Phil.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Neil Choi

MD

That seller also sells a kit which is pretty much the Radcam for about $250 which is pretty good price.  You might consider that.  Comes with mic, remote etc etc.

Neil

MD

Thank you Neil. That appears to be a fine set up as well. However, I have bitten the bullet and made the purchase already. Let's hope it lives up to be what it claims. (Do they ever?  :) )

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0