whatd do the 156 dashboard warning lights mean

Started by duhastchris, August 26, 2012, 10:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duhastchris

i recently bought a 2001 156 about 2 weeks ago just recently a red exclamation mark has come on i don't know what it means i cant find any thing in the manual to help me i thought it was something to do with the battery since i had a problem with it going dead iv now got a new battery but the light is still on so what would it mean

Cool Jesus

Check your owners manual again, I'm pretty sure the exclamation mark has to do with your brake system. Either brake fluid is low, which could indicate a leak somewhere? Or a malfunction in the ABS with the brake proportioning function, or something like that, although I'd imagine the ABS should also come on. Could even be as simple as a handbrake switch?  

Start simple, do you still have ABS? Any other symptoms? Actually, is the ABS light turning on then off as part of its test function when you first turn the key. I've come across dodgy sellers who disable the light to hide ABS malfunctions for the sale?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Check the brake fluid level, on the 2002- 156 with the info display, when you put the handbrake on with the car still rolling, you get the ! and "handbrake on or low brake fluid", when the cars are road worthy, the roadworthy person has to check that the ABS light comes on during startup to see that its functioning, and if ok, it extiguishes, either they have not checked it, or the seller has removed the globe, another reason to buy a car with a roadworthy certificate, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

The owner's manual for my 2000 156 on page 72 says:
Insufficient brake fluid and/or handbrake on.
This warning light comes on when the level of the brake fluid falls below the minimum, possibly due to a leakage in the system and when the handbrake is engaged. When the ignition key is turned to MAR the warning light comes on but must go out after approx. 4 seconds.

Mr156_2.0

I have a 1999 156 and that light is for 2 things.
1. The handbrake is activated.
2. The brake fluid level is low.

If its low it could just mean its time for a new set of pads. Could mean u have a leak in you brake master cylinder or line. I'd be steering towards new pads.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

colcol

Your brake pads could be worn down, and as they move toward the disc, the fluid takes up the place of the piston moving toward the disc, have a look at your brake pads, if they are worn down you will have to replace them, but if they are don't fill up the master cylinder with brake fluid, as when you push the pistons back in the brake caliper, the master cylinder will overflow, and you will have brake fluid every where which will eat into the paint, on my 2002, the '!' light comes up when the handbrake is pulled on when the car is still rolling, and you get an alarm, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]