166 alternator "URGENT"

Started by alfagtv152, October 05, 2012, 05:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Had an alternator failure and need a voltage regulator/brush assembly which I can't buy.The local Auto electrician said, after combing through all the Bosch suppliers etc,at this stage it looks like it will be ex Germany.
Any body else been through this and know an easier solution?.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

colcol

Go to another auto electrician who may be able to supply you with a generic replacment, i have used non genuine regulators to get me out of trouble and they seem to work ok, or maybe try a Alfa Romeo wrecker, they may sell you just the regulator, which means you don't have to remove the alternator, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfagtv152

Hi Col,
The only second hand alternator I can find so far is ex Sydney,which was shipped from here according ASV spares.Alfa wreckers in SA are pretty much non existant..If this keeps up I will have to find something more common to graft on.

colcol

Have a look on the 166 EBAY site and see if there is anyone wrecking a 166, there are some auto electricians that have big ebay sites as well, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfagtv152

Yes I messaged the Alfa wreckers that I could find on ebay yeterday,no result.
There may be more though!.

colcol

I looked at one of the Alfa 156 ebay wreckers, and he had V-6 alternators for about $350 outright, should ask wreckers, if they will sell you a voltage regulator, as you don't have to remove the alternator, i went to a wrecker about 10 years ago, to get another alternator, guy told me to replace the regulator 1st, as thats what it most likely is in most cases, and he was right, Colin.

alfagtv152

They won't split up a complete working unit.

alfagtv152

I found them on ebay UK and bought one but I have to wait for them to reply with postage cost before I can pay for it and get it on the way!!. Don't know why they couldn't just have the postage cost to Australia in their selections at the checkout.

colcol

I know it is very annoying when they don't already have the postage costs already there, like most do, but the upside is that you will get it within a week and save a shedload of money than buying in Australia, Colin.

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Not having any luck with getting my alternator repaired after going to 2 well established repairers so I bought a second hand one from NSW today and I bought one from a local GM wrecker off of a 2.2L vectra which is the same except for the mounting points on the casing.
I have worked out how to fit the Vectra one with a little modification today so I will fit it up for the time being.Can't figure out why it should be so hard to fix mine but there you go!.
Cheers
Andrew

colcol

You may be able to pull the innards out of both alternators and use the 166 case, and put the Vectra innards in the 166 case, then it will go straight in, you could always go to an Auto Electrician with the 166 Alternator and tell them to fix this alternator...off me Holden, i was the spannerman to 3 cars once, HQ Holden, VW Passat and Alfa 33...all had the same Bosch Alternators, when i needed parts for them at an Auto Electrician, always said, have you got a xxxx for me Holden alternator, never mentioned Alfa Romeo, Colin.

alfagtv152

Hi Colin,
Unfortunately it isn't that simple!,that is what I thought when I found the Vectra one but the windings pass through the rear casing and then into the diode assembly where they are all crimped together.No bother with the front housing but the rear is a challange!.I will be visiting the auto elec tomorrow and intend to see if I can get some of the crimps and indeed if it possible to uncrimp and recrimp the connections.They said the only way for them to fix it was to buy a new alt and make one out of two which would cost rediculous money.
We haven't been talking Alfa's much,mostly just Bosch part numbers and I told him about the Vectra alt.
I have test fitted the Vectra alt with some mods and I will now have to brace the bottom mount but that should be pretty straight forward.
Cheers
Andrew

alfagtv152

Sorry not crimped together but spot welded together!